Anyone Use a CB Radio

AlabamaDan

I've been thinking of getting a CB Radio, but wonder if anyone still uses them.  I think groups use them when off roading right?  I don't really go off roading with groups, but do people still use them just on the road?  How about in times of emergencies like a hurricane or something?

Part two, if people are using CBs still, let's see where and how you installed them.

• Like 1

The offroad club I'm in uses them.  They're cheap and easy, and lots of people have them.  That being said, other forms of radio communication would be fantastic to transition to, but that's not going to happen overnight, so yes CB's are still relevant for offroading and will be for a long time.  When I have mine on when driving around I very rarely hear anyone talk, I usually just turn it off since I never heard anything.  I can put up pictures of my setup later.

• Like 2

In emergencies a ham radio would be better. More distance and more likely to find someone to respond. 

When I went out I carried both, CB for group comms and ham for emergencies. 

Edited by Citron
  • Like 4

Issue with HAM is you need to be licensed. Not hard to get it but still. For me as a casual off-roader before it was not worth it. I'm in the process now as I'm starting to do more long distance and remote trips.

I have had the same uniden pro520XL radio for the past 12 years and it still works great.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, adamzan said:

Issue with HAM is you need to be licensed. Not hard to get it but still. For me as a casual off-roader before it was not worth it. I'm in the process now as I'm starting to do more long distance and remote trips.

I have had the same uniden pro520XL radio for the past 12 years and it still works great.

I see some Pro510XLs very affordable on ePrey right now....  :)

Leaning toward a Uniden 520XL.  Looks like it may be small enough to mount in the center armrest or in the little cubby hole in front of the shifters.  The 520 has most features except scan and sideband, but I can get a new one with a magnetic antenna for $50 and be in business quickly.

I had a 510, good little radio for my use. 

The most important part is a good antenna. I had the firestik Firefly because it was flexible and I drove in a lot of areas with low branches. 

Edited by Citron
  • Like 2

Well, I did a little measuring around in the cab of my R50 and it appears that I don't have much space available for installation so I'm looking at the Cobra 75WXST and the Midland 75-822.  They are much more expensive than other models I was looking at, but provide the features and clean install I'm interested in.  Anyone have experience with them?  Looks like the only feature I'd lose is PA.  But, on the smaller boxes I was looking at I didn't have scan and weather.

55 minutes ago, Citron said:

I had a 510, good little radio for my use. 

The most important part is a good antenna. I had the firestik Firefly because it was flexible and I drove in a lot of areas with low branches. 

I was thinking of a 4' fire stick mounted from the rear hatch somehow.

11 hours ago, AlabamaDan said:

Well, I did a little measuring around in the cab of my R50 and it appears that I don't have much space available for installation so I'm looking at the Cobra 75WXST and the Midland 75-822.  They are much more expensive than other models I was looking at, but provide the features and clean install I'm interested in.  Anyone have experience with them?  Looks like the only feature I'd lose is PA.  But, on the smaller boxes I was looking at I didn't have scan and weather.

I was thinking of a 4' fire stick mounted from the rear hatch somehow.

I have the Midland 75-822 and I like it.  Perhaps the only things I'd change would be a longer coiled cord, and for the backlight to be longer or persistent (or at least have the backlight button light up so it's visible in the dark).  I particularly like the portability, since you can still put a short antenna (included) on it and use it in another vehicle without a permanent antenna being installed.  Would also work fine with a magnetic base antenna.  It actually comes with two battery packs: one for disposable batteries, and another for rechargeable batteries (includes the AC recharger, too), but I've not really needed to use the handheld modes.

I ran my antenna connector to the center console so that I could use the 12V socket in there.  Everything stores in there, too.  There's just enough gap between the center console and lid latch to run the cord out (kind of snugs into position), but the length of the cord prevents me from mounting the mic unit somewhere on the dash.

1_F4_D0_F83-_BDDA-4_AC0-_ADB2-_CA1_C6_EC

CAB2_F8_B4-4398-40_EF-823_D-4_D94_ADED7_

231_D834_A-_CFB7-4_E9_B-8_A84-5_B598_BD4

It usually just sits around the cup holders, draped over my leg, or clipped onto the seat belt strap across my chest.  Maybe I'll make a mount for it it someday.  My center console is looking a bit filthy.

Antenna is the FireStik FL3-B, and I bought the FireStik MK-204R mounting kit (cable and door jamb mount), but ended up using my upper tire carrier hinge instead of the door jamb mount.  Note that the cable required soldering at the connector, but it allows you to snake a 1/4" wire, rather than try to squeeze a 3/4" connector through small gaps.  I routed my wire through the taillight grommet, into the interior quartpanel space, along the passenger side, then under the passenger seat.  Initially, I put a twist-style Hustler QD-2 quick disconnect, but eventually forgot to remove my antenna before entering a parking garage and snapped it right at the base.  I was able to repair it, but also added a Wilson antenna spring.  So now it'll flex and can be removed easily:

9_B418_A50-7_E6_E-4_BB4-8_B78-93878_F998

D842_DA04-_CC8_D-46_BA-_B81_A-7_AC014_A7

I bought an Astatic PDC1 SWR meter for tuning.  Tuning is kind of a pain...the system is very sensitive to changes, and it takes a few iterations to dial it in.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been looking around a lot since I started this post and narrowed it down to the Midland 75-822 that hawairish has or the Cobra 75WXST.  I like the look of the Cobra, reviews say people complain about the sound so the Midland looks better.  I like  hawairish's installation in the center console.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ham is probably the way I'll go in the long run, but as I don't have experience/licenses for that I'll start with a CB.  It's cheaper too.  I just got a deal on this setup.  It's a start.

Screen%20Shot%202018-11-30%20at%201.23.1

• Like 1

I think it’s always a conundrum.
HAM is probably best but very involved.
GMRS is great due to the family license & handhelds but overall pretty low adoption rate which causes very low adoption rate
CB is terrible but cheap & ubiquitous

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RainGoat said:

CB is terrible but cheap & ubiquitous

It’s not always terrible.  I once tuned into a truckers’ convo while stuck in traffic on the freeway in eastern AZ, and one trucker was adamant that people get fecal matter in their ears because they use their phones in the restroom.  That was worth its weight in gold, and all thanks to having a CB. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I tuned my cb to the county crews doing road work during a construction stop. Kind of nice to hear how the work is progressing so you know when you will get to go. 

• Like 2

On 9/19/2018 at 11:40 AM, hawairish said:

I ran my antenna connector to the center console so that I could use the 12V socket in there.  Everything stores in there, too.  There's just enough gap between the center console and lid latch to run the cord out (kind of snugs into position), but the length of the cord prevents me from mounting the mic unit somewhere on the dash.

1_F4_D0_F83-_BDDA-4_AC0-_ADB2-_CA1_C6_EC

On 9/19/2018 at 11:40 AM, hawairish said:

My center console doesn't have a 12v socket there.  Did you install that?  If so, what did you tap into for the power?  

4 minutes ago, AlabamaDan said:

My center console doesn't have a 12v socket there.  Did you install that?  If so, what did you tap into for the power?  

Nope, it’s factory as far as I can tell. It’s been a while since I’ve pulled the console, but I don’t recall anything looking out of place. 

If you need to add one, I’d tap off the wires on the outlet under the radio so that they remain on the same fuse. 

At least by ‘02 there was a U-Plug in the center console. I’ve pulled that whole center console a couple times-pretty easy. I plan on wiring some U plugs off the back, above the cupholder, for my kids. I also want to hardwire some some hidden USB plugs inside the lower center stack. I was thinking about trying & running a fresh line with its own fuse for those. There are some really nice U-Plug alternatives on Amazon-lit plugs in different colors, dual 2.4v USB outlets, audio line ins, amp & volt meters.

• Like 1

Radio came last night.  I put the magnetic mount right on the center of the roof and just to get it going I ran the cable through the window.  With the vent visor rain can't get it.  Works for testing.

The features I liked about this besides the obvious ease of installation, small size, and portability are the weather feature and scan, which work great.  I drove around for about an hour today trying to hail someone on C19 with no luck.  I did hear one guy on C6, but I don't think he could hear me.  He was loud and clear and preaching.  I figure he's some guy on his powerful home base station.  Other than that it was quiet.  :(  I thought when I got close to the interstate I'd at least hear something.

I am getting some interference from the Q's electrical system.  Turning on the radio immediately causes interference and I can't squelch it out.  Wipers are the same.

1 hour ago, AlabamaDan said:

I am getting some interference from the Q's electrical system.  Turning on the radio immediately causes interference and I can't squelch it out.  Wipers are the same.

Thats most likely becuase of the cigarette lighter power source. CB's are sensitive and require dedicated ground and (+)  for clear signal and the best transmission performance. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, TowndawgR50 said:

Thats most likely becuase of the cigarette lighter power source. CB's are sensitive and require dedicated ground and (+)  for clear signal and the best transmission performance. 

So if I run a new power sock with it's own dedicated ground and hot wire that should help?