Wet floorboards

colinnwn

I've had a years long battle with wet floorboards after rains, and dripping inside from the door frames approximately where the dash starts. I finally noticed the weather stripping is 2 parts glued together which is now failing. What ignorant fool at Nissan thought this was a good idea?

Anyway I tried to glue it back together using this 3M product and it is a piece of crap. You are supposed to spread it thinly and evenly on both surfaces. It is impossible to do. The stuff tacks up in 3 seconds and starts balling up as you try to spread it. If you try to mush it together it doesn't stick for about 10 minutes and will pull off both sides and drop the weather strip if you aren't holding constant pressure across the 3 feet you are trying to fix in one go for a seamless waterseal.

I'm so mad at it I'm having a hard time not throwing my phone across the room. 8569ed7f3cd11d4f38cc5b228c12894f.jpgca9c0e463c2082d64782be980edcef7a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Had the same issue on my 96, I cleaned both surfaces with an alcohol pad, then spread a thin coat of super black rtv, just thick enough to hold itself together long enough to get it all into position, then closed the door gently, let it sit overnight & was good to go.

Edited by 01Pathmaker
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Fixing the weatherstripping on the passenger side didn't keep dampness out of the passenger floorboard.

We've had a rainy previous week in Dallas. This weekend I held the wet dry vac nozzle to the driver's side floorboard carpet for about 45 minutes, and sucked out just over 1 gallon of water. Because I rarely have a passenger, and their heels don't dig into the carpet under the pedals to squeeze the water up, I didn't have any success pulling water out of the passenger carpet.

The water seems to emerge from just below the top of the dash area around the door frame, and drips down the door, on driver and passenger sides. During some storms both sides get wet, and other storms only one side gets wet.

I finally figured out how to pull off the A pillar, hoping to see if I could verify the sunroof drains were still connected and in good shape. The pillars are held by 2 snap points, one at the top, and one about half way down, and then the pillar just pulls up and away from the dash.

No such luck on getting any access to the sunroof drain hoses. I did run a 14 gauge copper wire down the sunroof drains again. The last time it didn't help. There is a small nick in the sunroof seal right above the passenger side front drain. But I've never had any water drip from above, or along any part of the A-pillar. And I didn't see any stains in the plastic to indicate water running down it.

The entrance to the drain in the sunroof was a little clogged with old grease especially on the driver's side. This time I decided I'd be brave since I have only one other idea and little to lose. I set my air compressor to 40 psi, and later to 60 psi and blew air down the sunroof drains. We'll see if this makes any change.

My only remaining idea for where this water may be coming from is the rubber seals around the windshield are old and cracking in places, so I've wondered if due to poor drainage design, water is coming in above and around the windshield and runs inside around the dash corners. 

Does anyone know if new windshields come with all new rubber? If they don't, can they be provided by most windshield replacement companies for additional charge, or do I have to see if Nissan is still making them?

Thanks.

qPhuLJ2.jpg

5jddM1f.jpg

I'm pretty sure the windshield glues in, so the glue should be providing the seal. I'm not sure about the trims but I imagine your local windshield place could tell you. I've also heard of rust problems in the metal behind the trim.

• 3 months later...

I've had no further trouble with wet floorboards, so it looks like blowing the sunroof drains out with compressed air does work. If you do this I'd set your pressure regulator to 40 psi or less and start slow, so if there is a blockage it is less likely to blow the drain hose apart before it clears. It sure doesn't look like those drains are replaceable without removing the entire sunroof assembly, which looks like it would have to come out from the inside.

• Like 2