Dual battery setup

PatDes

I'm looking to do a dual battery set up on my 2004 pathfinder. I wonder if anyone here has done it and how they positioned the batteries. Photos would be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Best set up I’ve seen is by XPLOx4
https://xplorx4.shutterfly.com/437

“I installed dual batteries for emergency starting purposes, since I occasionally drained the main battery during long camping trips while using my 12v refrigerator. The main battery is an X2Power SLI34AGMDPM battery, and the emergency starting battery is a compact Odyssey PC680. The batteries are kept in isolation using a Hellroaring battery isolator, except when using a dash-mounted switch to connect the two together.”

I had 2 at one point. I turned the original 90*, moved the fuse box a tiny bit back, removed the battery clamp, slid the original as far as i could to the passenger side, then fit the second one beside it. Had to extend the ground cable. 

• Like 1

I had 2 at one point. I turned the original 90*, moved the fuse box a tiny bit back, removed the battery clamp, slid the original as far as i could to the passenger side, then fit the second one beside it. Had to extend the ground cable. 
Thank you! I would love a picture, if you have one!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They are isolated I have them triggered when the car is on to open up. I also added a switch just in case the main went dead. They are supported by a metal plate on the bottom. I don't want to talk about how they are secured at the moment haha. It's on the todo list to secure it properly, but it's been on that list for a couple years. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That Expedition Portal link...it's an okay read, but I wouldn't go past the first few pages unless you want to be suffocated by electrical theory and conversations rendered useless after people deleted their posts.  I've seen some better links.  I found this one especially useful for the basics: http://www.outbackcrossing.com.au/FourWheelDrive/Basic_Dual_Battery_System.shtml

This post had a lot of pics: 

I dig @XPLORx4's setup, too.  That's probably the route I'll probably take eventually, though I may run my camping accessories off it instead of having it solely for jumpstarts (but I would have a switch for that purpose, too).

• Like 1