CANVAZ 2018 - SoCal/Anza-Borrego 10/5-10/8

hawairish

I slacked on posting this up earlier this year, but here it is: the 8th annual CANVAZ run hosted by one of the Xterra clubs from CA, NV, and AZ.  This year it's the SCCX club hosting in Southern CA, mainly around Anza-Borrego Desert State Park 10/5 - 10/8 (Fri-Mon).  Can't say I've been to A-B before, but trail pics look great and the weather should be perfect that time of year.  Last year's event in Kingman, AZ, didn't disappoint. 

https://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=4577.0

https://www.facebook.com/events/137794836892269/

Note that per the FB link, there are no tickets or entry costs.  Just sign up for trails if interested.

Although primarily an Xterra gathering, there are several Frontiers in the mix, and me and Vic representing Pathfinders.  Would be nice to see a few others, of course.

26770242147x.jpg

41598493382_49b5c70895_z.jpg

• Like 2

I am not on bookface but this is something I’d like to participate in. Although October is still very hot in anza borrego!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be up for this, know Anza Borrego very well. It's a mix of trails, a lot are easy sand washes & dry mud trails but there are a couple of fairly technical trails, one being Pinyon Mountain (this includes Heart Attack Hill & The Squeeze). Some great camping areas & lots of cool things to see if you don't want to bust an axle on the harder trails. Count me in!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Astrorami said:

I am not on bookface but this is something I’d like to participate in. Although October is still very hot in anza borrego!

Ha, well I meant "perfect weather" relative to 115° days and >100° nights we had here in Phoenix this summer.

39 minutes ago, theexbrit said:

I'll be up for this, know Anza Borrego very well. It's a mix of trails, a lot are easy sand washes & dry mud trails but there are a couple of fairly technical trails, one being Pinyon Mountain (this includes Heart Attack Hill & The Squeeze). Some great camping areas & lots of cool things to see if you don't want to bust an axle on the harder trails. Count me in!

Andy!  I'm kinda hoping this trip will be redemption from my last SoCal trip...yeah, that one.  Not sure I'll bring a 2nd spare, but believe me it's crossed my mind and my Coopers have held up great since that day.

I have yet to take a look at the trails on their list (let alone all the pages on the thread), but I may stick with a blue and black.  I'm thinking it'll just be my and my son, probably driving out Friday AM and heading home Monday, but we'll see.

11 minutes ago, hawairish said:

Andy!  I'm kinda hoping this trip will be redemption from my last SoCal trip...yeah, that one.  Not sure I'll bring a 2nd spare, but believe me it's crossed my mind and my Coopers have held up great since that day.

I have yet to take a look at the trails on their list (let alone all the pages on the thread), but I may stick with a blue and black.  I'm thinking it'll just be my and my son, probably driving out Friday AM and heading home Monday, but we'll see.

Ha ha! Yeah that was an "eventful" trip. Good job the FJ wheel fit.

I just found out I may have something I have to do Saturday but I can head down Saturday late afternoon & hang around Sunday/Monday

That'll be cool if you guys make it out.

I spent some time checking out the trails being offered.  Pinyon Mtn looks pretty cool...lesser concerns for HAH, but The Squeeze...well, that might be my only hesitation.  Calcite Mines seemed alright, too, though looked a bit on the green side, and not blue.  Couldn't find much on Canyon Sin Nombre, at least not in terms of offroading videos.  Any thoughts or suggestions there?

Canyon Sin Nombre is just a nice canyon to drive through, from there I'm guessing they're going to head along maybe Arroyo Seco Del Diablo (another cool canyon to drive), they're easy but scenic. From there I'm thinking they're going down Diablo Drop Off which was graded a year or so ago but is starting to get back to the hairy downhill track that gave it it's name. From there they're going along "Broken Axle Gulch which is not hard but has a couple of sections that are fun. Fish Creek is easy & you can stop at Elephants Knees & maybe the Wind Caves. From there I would suggest heading over to Borrego Drop Off which had a fair amount of "pucker factor" last time we went down it highres_219142282.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

@Astrorami @theexbrit I signed up at the SCCX site for the blue trail (Canyon Sin Nombre/Fish Creek) on Saturday and the green (Calcite Mine/Military Wash) on Sunday.  Let me know if you want me to add you guys to the lists there.

Small change of plans, but I'll probably drive out Friday AM but head home Sunday after the run.

2 hours ago, hawairish said:

@Astrorami @theexbrit I signed up at the SCCX site for the blue trail (Canyon Sin Nombre/Fish Creek) on Saturday and the green (Calcite Mine/Military Wash) on Sunday.  Let me know if you want me to add you guys to the lists there.

Small change of plans, but I'll probably drive out Friday AM but head home Sunday after the run.

I am still not completely sure about going. The wife is really interested but does not do well in the heat. I guess I should ask what would be the latest to rsvp? Also, I took a peek at the official thread and it looks like only a few people are going, or am I reading that wrong?

50 minutes ago, Astrorami said:

I am still not completely sure about going. The wife is really interested but does not do well in the heat. I guess I should ask what would be the latest to rsvp? Also, I took a peek at the official thread and it looks like only a few people are going, or am I reading that wrong?

I feel like there's a little disorganization (mainly since a camp spot hasn't even been picked yet), but I'm underestimating them.  At least from experience in my local group, no one ever signs up for trails early (this is the first time I have, and it's really just a courtesy to the SCCX hosts), everyone tends to make trail-run decisions the morning-of, and no one really commits to going until about a week prior.  I'd say a late decision go/no-go won't hurt anyone's feelings (...except mine, man).

Given that SCCX has a good presence out there and is in a far broader region than the AZ and NV clubs, I'd still put the turnout in the 15-25 range.  At least from the AZ club, I know of 3-4 others planning to go.  @Jax99 out of SoCal is planning to make it, who now drives the R50 I helped his brother build up a couple years ago.

I think the heat will be tolerable.  I tend to run my AC on the trails anyway; evening might be warm during camp setup, but ought to cool down quickly, at least going by current weather forecasts and assuming it won't actually be hotter in a few weeks.  Personally, I just find it nice to branch out and meet some like-minded wheelers, even if the turnout is low or the weather is crumby.  I've also taken some pride in showing up with bastard Nissan model and proving that it can hang just fine.

37 minutes ago, hawairish said:

I feel like there's a little disorganization (mainly since a camp spot hasn't even been picked yet), but I'm underestimating them.  At least from experience in my local group, no one ever signs up for trails early (this is the first time I have, and it's really just a courtesy to the SCCX hosts), everyone tends to make trail-run decisions the morning-of, and no one really commits to going until about a week prior.  I'd say a late decision go/no-go won't hurt anyone's feelings (...except mine, man).

Given that SCCX has a good presence out there and is in a far broader region than the AZ and NV clubs, I'd still put the turnout in the 15-25 range.  At least from the AZ club, I know of 3-4 others planning to go.  @Jax99 out of SoCal is planning to make it, who now drives the R50 I helped his brother build up a couple years ago.

I think the heat will be tolerable.  I tend to run my AC on the trails anyway; evening might be warm during camp setup, but ought to cool down quickly, at least going by current weather forecasts and assuming it won't actually be hotter in a few weeks.  Personally, I just find it nice to branch out and meet some like-minded wheelers, even if the turnout is low or the weather is crumby.  I've also taken some pride in showing up with bastard Nissan model and proving that it can hang just fine.

I always knew you were the sensitive type! ?

I think yes/no go a week before is doable. Also, this bastard Nissan you speak of might as well be an Xterra. Your rig is built to go anywhere!

Where do you source your weather info from? I like wunderground but everytime I click history or calender it takes me to weather station closer to San Diego.

3 hours ago, Astrorami said:

I always knew you were the sensitive type! ?

I think yes/no go a week before is doable. Also, this bastard Nissan you speak of might as well be an Xterra. Your rig is built to go anywhere!

Where do you source your weather info from? I like wunderground but everytime I click history or calender it takes me to weather station closer to San Diego.

Oh, you caught that part.  Hmm...

But yeah, you've got time to decide.  I don't think they're crunching for people, and the event will happen either way.

The Nissan lineage is a funny one.  Technically, the Xterra should've been the 2nd Gen Pathfinder, if going by chassis codes.

I've just been Googling "Anza Borrego Desert weather".  It uses some address out in the sticks, which I presume is where it's pulling whether for.  But honestly, I guess I've never really questioned where the weather is really coming from.  Did you happen to see that fake Hurricane weather video today, by chance?

23 minutes ago, hawairish said:

Oh, you caught that part.  Hmm...

But yeah, you've got time to decide.  I don't think they're crunching for people, and the event will happen either way.

The Nissan lineage is a funny one.  Technically, the Xterra should've been the 2nd Gen Pathfinder, if going by chassis codes.

I've just been Googling "Anza Borrego Desert weather".  It uses some address out in the sticks, which I presume is where it's pulling whether for.  But honestly, I guess I've never really questioned where the weather is really coming from.  Did you happen to see that fake Hurricane weather video today, by chance?

hahaha you mean the guy that was reporting how severe it is out there and 2 guys are just walking around in shorts in the background?

44 minutes ago, Astrorami said:

hahaha you mean the guy that was reporting how severe it is out there and 2 guys are just walking around in shorts in the background?

That's the one.  Instant classic.

• 2 weeks later...

So boss lady says she wants to go to an Oktoberfest here in San Diego this coming weekend. We had initially considered going to the one in Goodyear later in October but the $70pp is ridiculous! I am out  ?

A4_A935_DF-59_D3-4_D30-833_A-591_D6_ED73

Ended up being a good turnout, about 25-30 trucks.  Mostly Xterras, couple Frontiers, Toyotas, and Jeeps.  We ended up with 3 R50s and an R51...not bad!  Glad @Astrorami and @Jax99 made it out, too!  Weather was great...maybe a bit windy Saturday night, but Sunday was excellent.

Saturday's trail run ended up being a bit on the weak side...stayed in 2wd pretty much the entire drive except for a sandy descent.  Scenic trail, but very much a green run.  Sunday was supposed to be an actual green run, but all the Pathfinders opted to play hooky and head over to the Ocotillo Wells SVRA to play on the 4x4 playground for a bit...

1_A23721_B-_DF28-4_FEC-93_B0-3207100_B67

447_EE864-321_F-4_A93-8_DD7-29_D1756_E72

84872_E77-_D7_BA-4757-_AC94-5_B80_F07648

FDC588_A1-487_D-4_C2_A-88_FB-_FF85_FA93_

51509_B89-_AB19-4_F7_C-8623-_C1444451103

731_AA02_F-2_F4_C-41_D2-_BF7_A-38_C2901_

0_ED051_F9-6410-4_BD6-_AA81-8_CAD733_B87

C73_D765_E-932_B-428_D-_BA55-1_D842_C3_C

A6912_D0_B-6_E7_C-46_ED-_B881-_B262_F117

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 5