98 QX4 Cruise Control Problems

AlabamaDan

Hey guys!  I've got a 98 QX4 with a 3.3 and the cruise control just stopped working one day.  I"m an ok mechanic, especially with some guidance, but I don't know where to start with this problem.  I thought it might be the switch on the dash where you turn the cruise on/off so I pulled one from the JunkYard and replaced it, but it didn't solve the problem.  Any suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks ahead of time.  This is a great forum.

If it is like my 01, there are 2 rubber bushings at the top of the brake pedal arm, and one bushing on my clutch pedal arm. They all got brittle and fell out last year.

On the brake, they are used to contact the switches that control the brake lights, and cruise control disengagement.

When my brake light one fell out, I had a dead battery because the brake light switch is a normally closed switch. When the cruise one fell out, the cruise wouldn't engage.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yeah check what they said before you lose hope. If the cruise "ready" function still works but "set" does not, and it just happened all the sudden, then most likely the piece they're talking about fell out. Look for bits of plastic in the driver footwell. You can replace the part with an appropriate nut and bolt if you don't want to buy the part.

It's hard to get a good picture, but the steering column is to the bottom right, and in the middle are the 2 black bushings. I have pushed the pedal down about an inch for better access and visibility. Check to see if they are still there and don't fall out by touching them. They should be pretty impossible to move. Getting new ones in is a little bit of a bear. 58bf671dae46448af480faeb9453e62c.jpg

That may be the problem.  Looks like I'm missing one.  I looked at this in a junkyard not long ago thinking it might be the problem, but the qx4 I looked at had holes exactly like mine so I didn't realize something was wrong.  I wonder if I can get this same little plug part from other Nissan vehicles?

IMG_4694 copy 2.jpg

So I stopped by Lowe's on the way home and browsed through hardware until I found Hillman Nylon Hole Plugs.  I thought "That's just what I need!" and bought a bunch of various sizes. Cost about $5. I came home and tried to insert to plug the empty hole.  That's quite a challenge.  During the event where I was trying to shine the light, push the brake pedal and get the little thing up there I dropped it of course.  The last time I dropped it into this metal bracket above the pedal, but below the top section I was working on.  As I reached up there and started feeling around I found a number of things, one of which was a plug like the other side!  It was much easier to get back in place and solved my cruise control issues!

What I now have in there is a Ribbed Push In Nylon Rivet.  It's not what colinnwn has in his photo, but it works and appears to be what is on the other side.

Thanks for the help!  One more thing off the repair list!

Edited by AlabamaDan

• 1 month later...

I used the exact same plastic rivnut for a temporary fix. But mine was small enough it could vibrate out with the pedal pushed. It worked fine for a month. But I went ahead and fixed with the OEM part since it wasn't terribly expensive. I figured the rubber might also be helping stop pedal vibration, and prevent erosion of the plastic pushrod.

46584-5P010

I generally use NissanPartsDeal because of their great diagrams and linked part data. It looks like in the last 6 months Nissan has discontinued them, but they are still available for about $12 from various places. It's a lot for a little dot of rubber. But since it is still my daily driver, I like to leave as much original as I can, unless I think I can do it better.

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-rubber-stopper~46584-5p010.html