2003 Nissan Pathfinder R50 Snorkel

So I've been looking into getting a snorkel for my R50 pathfinder for a couple of months now. Ive gone through many a forums that say D22 petrol snorkels work as they match up with the square air box that the R50 has, however it does require some structural change to the car. Ive found some r50 snorkels that are designed to suit but they all seem to be quite pricey and have poor quality reviews.

Ive also gone over doing a custom 3" stainless aswell but that might be a future project.

For now I've ordered a D22 snorkel and will be undertaking the project when its delivered but im still open to change and trying new ideas! so please drop some below!

• Like 1

I'm getting ready to install my snorkel Tuesday or Wednesday weather permitting on my 2003 Pathfinder LE. The snorkels that I have found, have all been pricey. I purchased the R50 snorkel kit from 4x4Parts.com.

• Like 1

TownDawgR50 has one & is planning on helping me do my truck. I do not believe he made any structural changes except to cut through the external sheet metal. His complaints are that it doesn’t sit flush with the fender & A-pillar. Also, it doesn’t properly let water out of the collector. And he also feels the material is sub par.

For what it’s worth, I kind of like how his sits a few millimeters up from the sheet metal-it would keep grit from sandpapering the paint, allows better cleaning & prevents dirt accumulation& plant growth that we get up here. It does increase the risk of a branch getting caught under it.

So the snorkel got delivered and ill be sure to put photos up later today, but overall it seems to fit a treat, its built for a 2001 Navara D22/Frontier but the body conforms to the shapes of the snorkel, mounts to the A pillar great! Only complication is that the radio arial is in the way, so im thinking of relocating it to the bullbar and welding a plate to seal the hole left behind. 

Will make sure to post plenty of updates today!

• Like 3

Only complication is that the radio arial is in the way, so im thinking of relocating it to the bullbar and welding a plate to seal the hole left behind. 

Is your aerial on the right when facing the truck? If so, do you have a right hand drive R50?

Watching.  I doubt I'll ever "need" a snorkel, but they look so cool!

If your thinking of getting one for the functional purposes, then I think there are a lot of other things you need to do.  I think there are breather hoses on the differentials, transmission, etc. that will all need to be extended up high.  I know Jeep XJ builds did at least and I recall a guy running lots of breather hoses up to and into his air box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlabamaDan said:

Watching.  I doubt I'll ever "need" a snorkel, but they look so cool!

If your thinking of getting one for the functional purposes, then I think there are a lot of other things you need to do.  I think there are breather hoses on the differentials, transmission, etc. that will all need to be extended up high.  I know Jeep XJ builds did at least and I recall a guy running lots of breather hoses up to and into his air box.

Yup, on the R50 iirc none of the breathers go anywhere safe stock, although front diff may be ok, can't remember... definitely need to at least extent rear.  Also should look into protecting some vital electronics.

I was pleasantly surprised with the transmission, transfer case and front diff breathers.  All three go to a metal hose assembly that is up behind the head, so not too low.  The rear diff needs some help, though.

Edited by system_f

I am going to share my folly hoping for some help. I bought a snorkel for a Jeep Cherokee for my 1999 Pathfinder. The loft, windshield angle etc,  was pretty close. My stopping point was, I had no place to fasten on the A pillar. The door wraps the A pillar so the project stopped there. How does one get the snorkel fastened to the A pillar?

2 hours ago, neilca said:

I am going to share my folly hoping for some help. I bought a snorkel for a Jeep Cherokee for my 1999 Pathfinder. The loft, windshield angle etc,  was pretty close. My stopping point was, I had no place to fasten on the A pillar. The door wraps the A pillar so the project stopped there. How does one get the snorkel fastened to the A pillar?

Most applications probably call for drilling.  However, there are some high-strength adhesive foams and acrylic tapes that might suffice.  3M VHB is on that comes to mind, having used it for work in the past with success, though I don't know how well it holds up to the elements.  Does the kit have mounting brackets for the pillar?

1 hour ago, ryanva said:

Finally put mine on, was a little harder than I thought it was going to be. It does have a bracket on the pillar. Also it does not sit flush with the pillar.  

IMG_2767.JPG

Well, certainly looks good from a distance!

• Like 1

Thanks, MY Pathfinder is a work in progress. Next is lockers, suspension, bumper,winch then lights. I have everything but the bumper and the winch. Now just need time to put the rest on.

I Really want to see   "Really Not Jordan"  do the 3" stainless steel snorkel.  

• Like 2

Can’t post pics for some reason.

gotchas for the install:

If I had to do it over again I would take the drivers side fender off of it. I think it would be easier to work on that way.

also prepare to remove the plastic fender well and tire. 

This is was my first time installing a snorkel kit on a vehicle so someone may have an easier way to do it. I am somewhat mechanically inclined so not scared to cut, install, or remove anything from a vehicle. That being said, this was kind of a pain in the !ss.