1997 Pathfinder SE 4WD Modding Advice and Help

tjreif

So I have a 97 pathy SE 4wd. The previous owner was the only owner before me and it came from California where the guy apparently went over sand dunes with it and drove it all the way where I am which is Wisconsin.. so it feels very low geared and I’m wondering how I could actually check what gears are in it and how to check if it has locking or limited slip.. is the only way to truly find out having to take everything apart count the teeth in the gears and check if it’s locking, limited slip, or open...? My plans are to lift it around 6ish inches and put 35’s on it with a SFD and bigger coil springs, the coil springs are getting pretty bad my buddy stood next to the car and was rocking the whole thing about.. it was pretty bad so I defiantly need new coil springs anyway.. If it’s lifted that high would I still need to trim bumpers or fenders or anything to fit 35’s? I’m not really looking to do much rock crawling or things like that I’m looking to go have a good time in the mud. Anyone know of a good winch and brush guard? Anyway it’s almost perfect for a daily driver as it sits, needs new struts, coil springs, and maybe wheel bearings but besides that it’s in really good shape. If you have any recommendations for mods I could do that would be greatly appreciated... Did i forget to mention it has underglow and it’s blacked out? LMAO... oh and there is like no rust anywhere even on the underbody... she’s in great shape!IMG_0080.thumb.JPG.042e0c8f1acfdb5b0631baaf11c1fe2e.JPGIMG_0060.thumb.JPG.ba9113478404763f5f8c4c12a980c664.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I answered a few of your questions regarding SFD, gears, and LSD in another reply from you before seeing this post.  Bumpers options are nonexistent, except a rather expensive ARB...probably wouldn't do much good for mudding.  I'm working on producing some bumper brackets for those considering a custom route; I've built up a winch bumper on mine with the first prototype.

Welcome aboard!

• Like 2

Bumpers options are nonexistent, except a rather expensive ARB...probably wouldn't do much good for mudding.  I'm working on producing some bumper brackets for those considering a custom route; I've built up a winch bumper on mine with the first prototype.

Since you’re new, I’ll just chime in & say hawairish’s bumpers/brackets are eagerly awaited by many NPORA regulars. I’ve seen them in person & they are well thought out & likely better than most if not anyone else would design. He is a careful & thoughtful designer. Search for the bumper thread & there are pictures & discussion ad nauseum.

So iv looked over the Nissan for the vin which doesnt even contain an H and the orange sticker for LSD and there was the orange sticker on the rear axel!!! It looks like there are locking hubs in the front however?? So hmmm anyway regarding the VIN I could not find the characters regarding the gears... if you could provide further insight that would be amazing and thanks for the help so far!!

It’s not in the VIN. On the door jamb sticker or the plate on the passenger firewall, it should say “Axle Code”, look for he HG4X there. 

Ahhh ok thankyou, i scanned over it this morning didn’t look a lot since I had to go to work, I will look tonight! Thanks!

Locking hubs in the front have nothing to do with the diffs. They just allow you to save a little gas and some wear on the CV joints by disconnecting the front drivetrain entirely when you're not going to be needing 4x. Common mod for the R50s.

• Like 1

If you go with 12.5" wide 35s you will not only have to trim stuff but you will also probably have to run some wheel spacers too, unless you can get your hands on some rims with crazy backspacing.

Would I be able to do 35’s on the stock rims? I’m okay with trimming I just want to get as big of a tire as possible

Would I be able to do 35’s on the stock rims? I’m okay with trimming I just want to get as big of a tire as possible

IMG_0084.JPG

Not without spacers, no.  The issue is when you go larger than 31" the tire contacts the strut.  You have to move the tire/wheel outward to give the clearance necessary for larger tires.  After that you can cut to your heart's desire.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...