Just bought a 1997 ?XE? 4WD

malacandro

Hi all - I just picked up my first pathfinder (1997). I have to be honest - I'm not sure what trim it is. I have seen a lot of conflicting information online. Mine is a 5-speed manual, part-time 4WD, manual windows, locks, mirrors. It seems they all have the same engine. I’ve taken it off-road once...I’m not super experienced, but I was impressed with how it performed. Looking forward to getting it ready for some desert and mountain trips. 

After getting the timing belt replaced (not sure if it has ever been done), I'll add some skid plates, crossbars and cargo basket, and perhaps a hitch. I’ve already found some good (and disappointing) information on the site regarding the availability of parts and advice about repairs. Thanks for keeping this forum going!

Edited by malacandro
missing information

:welcome:

Welcome!  Although the aftermarket is fairly limited for these vehicles, the awesome people on this forum are extremely creative and have found a multitude of creative ways to improve their beloved rides.  Enjoy your new ride!

And yes, yours has the 3.3L engine which was the only option in the US until they upgraded to the 3.5L, which was also the only option from that point onward.

On 8/22/2018 at 12:11 AM, Slartibartfast said:

Manual everything was probably an XE, but yeah, not much important changed with trim levels on these.

Thanks, Slartibartfast - just confirmed it with a VIN lookup. Getting the belts and hoses redone this weekend, looking forward to its inaugural trip out next week.

On 8/21/2018 at 3:02 PM, mjotrainbrain said:

Welcome!  Although the aftermarket is fairly limited for these vehicles, the awesome people on this forum are extremely creative and have found a multitude of creative ways to improve their beloved rides.  Enjoy your new ride!

And yes, yours has the 3.3L engine which was the only option in the US until they upgraded to the 3.5L, which was also the only option from that point onward.

mjotrainbrain - appreciate the welcome, and looking forward to slowly adding on capability as I figure out what I am doing (and what I want to be able to do). This has been a useful resource already.

On 8/22/2018 at 11:26 AM, teixeira said:

Thanks!