Soft Rear Window??

Wacky_Pathy

I've had an idea during class today. What if one removes the rear lift window and puts a canvas/vinyl cover over it similar to a Jeep and be able to remove it on nice days just like a 4Runners rear window?? 

You'd have no visibility out the back when it's on, water getting in whether it's on or not, and also wind noise. What were you hoping for?

For what it's worth, you can drive with the rear window open. I drove halfway across a mountain pass like that once (not sure if I forgot to close it or it didn't latch or what). Finally I realized that the increased wind noise and the unusually bright image in the rearview mirror might be connected!

• Haha 1

This thing is already loud lol. I'm talking vinyl window basically with canvas surrounding it. I suppose just taking the whole window out for a few decent weather days. Yea it'll be a pita but hey. 

After owning a 89 4Runner with a soft top swap, quite is better. Now ask yourself this, other than cool factor, what will be the ups and downs of doing this? I would also ask yourself how often it will need replacing? What will be the impact of weather (ie rain, snow, moister) damaging the ENTIRE interior of your truck? If you think the ups out way the downs then go for it.

Mr. Fister

95 SE-V6

It's an interesting idea but installing one is going to be your biggest challenge. Sealing will be difficult but possible since you would need a two-part refrigerator door seal (to keep the water out) that goes all the way around the window. The problem with that is how you attach the vinyl seal to the canvas/ nylon since glue and epoxy won't work (heat seal maybe).... that should get you a water proof seal. I think I would recommend a transparent glass portion instead of translucent vinyl but then you would have added weight, fragility and storage issues. Interesting idea though!!

• Like 1

I think you should figure out a way to quickly remove the glass instead of the vinyl.

You could put wing bolts in place of the bolts for easy removal or you could replace the shafts that hold the hinges together and have cotter pins to secure the shafts while the window is on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2018 at 6:46 AM, mechanic58 said:

Hell, just get a sawzall and cut the whole roof off while you're at it! 

Someone did do that with a two door.  Looks pretty cool.  I can't find it for the life of me, but I know he was in the PacNW.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...