A/T Oil Temp light 2003 LE

greg03pathy

Hi All, over this past weekend my A/T Oil Temp light came on after driving uphill on an FSR for an extended period of time, as soon as it came on I pulled over and let it cool down (about 10 mins), then started driving again, about 5 minutes later it came on again. In total this happened 4 times until I reached the summit. The outside temperature was around 20c/68f. My friend who has a 02 did not have any issues on the same road in the same conditions.

Has anyone had an issues similar to this? What would be the recommended course of action? Change the fluid? It was whining when hot, but now it's cooled down everything seems to be operating as normal.

Whining noise isn't a good sign. From what I've read, the temp light tends to come on after the trans is already much hotter than you want it to be. Have a good look at the fluid when you drain it to see if it's got anything in it that it shouldn't. Also check that your cooler isn't blocked! This wouldn't be a bad time to add a better cooler, though, yeah, it doesn't sound like it should've overheated under those conditions.

The '03 manual says the sensor should read about 2.5 ohms cold (68°F), about 0.5 ohms hot (176°F).