235/85r16 (31.7'' diameter) tires after a 2'' strut spacer lift

Hello again.

So after I get the 2'' SFCreation strut spacers installed, will 235/85r16 tires be a drop-in fit? Researching the older posts seems to indicate that 235/85r16 tires will not need BS adjustment nor trimming of the wheel well, mudflaps, etc. Edit: Seems I also have stock 16''  7Jx16 ET20 rims

Anyway I've got my eyes on a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3s. Wish me luck. ???

Cheers.

P

Edited by Path_0_logical

Subbed as I’m also looking at this tire size. Currently running 245/75/16 BFG KO2 on stock rims and have just a tiny bit of space under the strut. Thinking I’ll probably get a set of 4” BS Pro Comp Steelies regardless (so I can run chains during the winter), but curious to know if they’d fit without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Path_0_logical changed the title to 235/85r16 (31.7'' diameter) tires after a 2'' strut spacer lift

After some digging around it seems 235/85r16 tires will clear the strut with a back space <= 3.75in, which translates into an offset of <= -6mm. Since I have stock 7Jx16 ET20 rims with +20mm offset, seems 1.5in wheel spacers will do the trick, in lieu of getting new rims. Now rubbing on the wheel well, flaps, fender etc. is a different story, but I'm willing to sculpt my truck into a modern art masterpiece lol. 

Ref:

Edited by Path_0_logical
  • Like 3

I can also confirm that 3.75" of backspace is the magic number.  You may have issues with major tire rub at full flex in the rear, in addition to the general trimming you'll need to do since the tire won't neatly tuck behind the quarter panel anymore when flexing.  If you're truck isn't rusty it *should* be a fairly easy job to add 2" thick by 3" diameter body lift spacers to the rear bumpstops with longer bolts to keep the tire off the body.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well unfortunately my mechanic's out of action until later this week so in the meantime, I've had time to mull over some lifting coil springs instead of the strut spacers... it seems that coil spring lifts will prevent CV binding and wear and seeing as how my car is somewhat old that could really be an issue (CV binding could definitely be a problem when doing some prolonged 4-wheeling due to strut droop after 2'' lift spacers are installed).

With that being said, I managed to find these R51 40mm lift coil springs (front and rear) on ebay. I was wondering if they will fit an R50.

Edit: found some 40mm lift R50 King Springs KDFR-66 and KDFR-67 

I'll probably end up buying those springs and get them installed. Lol... sometimes I wish I became an auto mechanic instead of an electronics engineer. But not all the time. 

Cheers.

Edited by Path_0_logical

Well, ended up buying a pair of ARB2928 (OME HD) front coil springs from ebay. Most likely gonna end up with the coil springs in the front and the 2''strut spacer in the rear. The slight rake won't be an issue as I'm always hauling stuff when I go 4-wheelin' and that'll push the rear down a bit.

Edited by Path_0_logical
hurrr can't spel
  • Like 1