Roof Rack Cross bar replacement?

mbailey802

Cracked a cross bar on my roof rack of my 98 pathy. Pretty sure I loaded up the cargo box a bit too heavy and send it pretty good on the FSR's in BC.

I have messaged a few ads on Craigslist selling parts cars but no luck yet. Has anyone purchased replacement before? Any third party brand that makes something made top fit?

cheers

Have you taken a look at u-pull junk yards near you?  From my experience the pre-facelift crossbars (like you have) feel cheap/flimsy to me compared to the post-facelift ones my QX4 came with, however the earlier ones sit much closer to the roof, by about an inch and a half.  Minor tradeoff for strength though.

• Like 1

Cracked a cross bar on my roof rack of my 98 pathy. Pretty sure I loaded up the cargo box a bit too heavy and send it pretty good on the FSR's in BC.

I have messaged a few ads on Craigslist selling parts cars but no luck yet. Has anyone purchased replacement before? Any third party brand that makes something made top fit?

cheers

If you can pay for shipping you are free to have mine. They are from 03 le

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you taken a look at u-pull junk yards near you?  From my experience the pre-facelift crossbars (like you have) feel cheap/flimsy to me compared to the post-facelift ones my QX4 came with, however the earlier ones sit much closer to the roof, by about an inch and a half.  Minor tradeoff for strength though.

I would 2nd this. I have carried an incredible amount of lumber on my ‘02 load bars, no problem. Not recommending it but I have significantly exceeded my weight limits &!even emergency stopped with something like six 5/8” 4x8’ subflooring up there.
  • Like 1

I have a pair I pulled off my truck you can have for the shipping cost. Which may be substantial since I am in Atlanta, GA. Let me know if interested and I can see what it would take to get them to Vancouver.

On 8/8/2018 at 4:57 PM, Astrorami said:

If you can pay for shipping you are free to have mine. They are from 03 le

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind offer. Will try and find a solution locally but great to know that is an option. I figure paying customs at the border and shipping to canada may be a bit expensive.

Thanks for the kind offer. Will try and find a solution locally but great to know that is an option. I figure paying customs at the border and shipping to canada may be a bit expensive.

Not sure it’s easier but I can accept them here in Seattle & you could pick up at your leisure. I would bring them up next visit but that likely won’t be until next year. Surely they’re around some junkyard in the PNW.

22 hours ago, 1badqx4 said:

you can have my set also, pay the shipping and there yours. off my 99.5 qx4

If you still have them available (and the original poster doesn't want them), I have a 1997 that is in need of some crossbars! I'd be happy to pay shipping to take them off of your hands. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, malacandro said:

If you still have them available (and the original poster doesn't want them), I have a 1997 that is in need of some crossbars! I'd be happy to pay shipping to take them off of your hands. 

Your profile says you live in LA... There are over a handful of LKQ pick-a-part in your area. It might be cheaper to get the bars there rather than pay shipping. If you ever are in San Diego you are welcome to get mine.

1 hour ago, Astrorami said:

Your profile says you live in LA... There are over a handful of LKQ pick-a-part in your area. It might be cheaper to get the bars there rather than pay shipping. If you ever are in San Diego you are welcome to get mine.

Good point - I should stop being lazy and go visit a junkyard. Actually, I will be in San Diego sometime in the next few weeks...I'll reach out if so. Thank you for the advice, and generous offer!

• Like 1