system_f

2002 Pathfinder...the long road to recovery (build)

Haven't tried Photoshop.  I have it, but I do not have the Photoshop powers. I have put the stock silver wheels on and they look good.  I also put a black Steelie on and it looks ok.  First world problems....

• Like 2

On 8/8/2018 at 11:27 PM, system_f said:

Tonight I got the engine out and the engine bay pressure washed.  One thing that confuses me is that the engine bay is black?!?!  The vehicle has not been repainted and I see no damage up front that would indicate a crash.  The firewall, sides and upper radiator support are all black...the rest of the truck is factory blue.

My parents r50 had a black engine bay as well, but the truck was silver. I was told by nissan a long time ago they were all like that. Even my Xterra has a greyish coloured engine bay. Guess they cheaped out in the later years?

13 hours ago, adamzan said:

My parents r50 had a black engine bay as well, but the truck was silver. I was told by nissan a long time ago they were all like that. Even my Xterra has a greyish coloured engine bay. Guess they cheaped out in the later years?

Not sure it'd be the later years, though.  Between my buddy's 02 (white) and my 04 (silver), the engine bays have been color matched; I don't recall seeing it on @Astrorami's 03 (silver) either.  Only time may have been a black one at the JY.  I think I have seen it on X/Frontier's before without giving it much thought, though my 98 Frontier is also color matched.  It's definitely an odd feature, but it does look original at least.

Not sure it'd be the later years, though.  Between my buddy's 02 (white) and my 04 (silver), the engine bays have been color matched; I don't recall seeing it on [mention=41155]Astrorami[/mention]'s 03 (silver) either.  Only time may have been a black one at the JY.  I think I have seen it on X/Frontier's before without giving it much thought, though my 98 Frontier is also color matched.  It's definitely an odd feature, but it does look original at least.

Mine is also color matched, as is my 04 frontier. My dad’s ‘00 frontier also same color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My silver ‘02 LE is color matched.

I would consider graphite/charcoal wheels as well. Frankly, aluminum alloy looks fine too. Perhaps, consider what your other accents are going to be.

Maybe it was only economical on some of the rarer colors?  Maybe regional, or even by manufacturing plant?  I’d be curious to know the reason since it seems like extra work. 

• Like 1

Holy crap TowndawgR50 , that picture looks awesome.  

I am leaning toward these rims and use some 1/4" spacers.  Although I hate the idea of spacers, 1/4" spacers with slightly longer studs doesn't scare me too bad.  At this width they are just big flat washers.   Looks like the Summit warehouse has wheel studs that are 12mm longer in stock, too. There is something about the big spokes and factory-ness of the wheel that makes me O.C.D. not burn so badly.

nissan-pathfinder-rims-62370-b.jpg

Edited by system_f
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, system_f said:

I am leaning toward these rims and use some 1/4" spacers.  Although I hate the idea of spacers, 1/4" spacers with slightly longer studs doesn't scare me too bad.  At this width they are just big flat washers.   Looks like the Summit warehouse has wheel studs that are 12mm longer in stock, too. There is something about the big spokes and factory-ness of the wheel that makes me O.C.D. not burn so badly.

If looking at wheels studs, I posted some Dorman numbers here: link

I'm a fan of stock wheels, too, which is why I went with spacers on longer studs.  I've been using the front and rear studs from that post for several years on 1/4" and 1/2" spacers.  No issues, though I did also put it in some nylon spacers on the studs to center the wheels spacers better. 

• Like 2

The Budget won and it looks like I will be keeping the wheels I have for the time being.  This allowed me to get the stereo I want as the long trips can be tiring without entertainment.

It looks tight, but is actually a lot better than I imagined.  The tire should tuck into the wheel well nicely. 

IMG_20180816_164404-small.jpg

To continue my ramblings:  The other day I noticed that these 265 75 R16 tires are E rated and good for 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks.  These may ride like ass, but the extra sidewall strength will be nice offroad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, system_f said:

To continue my ramblings:  The other day I noticed that these 265 75 R16 tires are E rated and good for 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks.  These may ride like ass, but the extra sidewall strength will be nice offroad.

I'm surprised you didn't notice they were rated "run-over-everything" when you paid for those bad boys. Great tires but very expensive!

I like my KO2's. They ride pretty nice, are quiet and great for hauling. No issues Ive noticed in the 2 years I've had them.

• Like 1