2002 Pathfinder...the long road to recovery (build)

system_f

Can someone with a VQ engine please take a picture of the vacuum routing from the swirl valve (green vacuum valve in the front of the engine) and the swirl vacuum cut valve (drivers strut tower)? 

And...she passed inspection, all of I monitors checked.  I only had to put in a bank 1 sensor 2 o2 sensor.  The only other major bug to work out is rear driveshaft vibration above 50mph.  Once I figure that out I am calling the recovery portion done and will move on to building it for overland.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

95 % was the front CVS, manual hubs fixed it.  I still have vibs above 70 that are minor.  They feel like they are coming from the front end, but I am not sure.  

I just ordered front and rear arbs lockers with the bigger arb compressor as a backup air source for tires.  When I do the front locker I will do CVS, if I don't find anything up front causing the vibs I will focus on the rear ( or mount some go pros and do some drive tests to see what I see). If it ends up being rear driveshaft I will order a Tom woods shaft with a double cardiam up front, have them build me a slip yoke eliminator and out adjustable upper links in to aim the pinion at the tcase.  I did this on the caR50 and the rear end vibs completely disappeared.

On 10/6/2018 at 9:03 AM, system_f said:

I just ordered front and rear arbs lockers with the bigger arb compressor as a backup air source for tires.

Nice!  Your old front locker is alive and well, btw. 

33 minutes ago, 01Pathmaker said:

Sold what?! Don't tell me you sold that pathy!

Ha!  His old front ARB locker, which is now in my truck. I bought it off a different guy years ago who hadn’t installed it in his truck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks great man! Good to know the 265/75 tires I just got are gonna look good, haha. What spacers did you end up going with?

Also, where'd you get the steering rack poly bushings? I looked on 4X4parts but didn't see them anywhere...

11 hours ago, herotrooper said:

Looks great man! Good to know the 265/75 tires I just got are gonna look good, haha. What spacers did you end up going with?

Also, where'd you get the steering rack poly bushings? I looked on 4X4parts but didn't see them anywhere...

These should be it:

https://www.4x4parts.com/i-21184333-power-steering-rack-bushings.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Although the trails were VERY easy and overland-ish  there were some interesting spots and a little bit of carnage.  My rear passenger fender is going to require some re-working to get fitment without tire rubbing.  I slid off a rock and the stock aluminum step on the driver's side is done...that was only a matter of time. The Colorado winters won, and my rear exhaust flange finally let go.  New exhaust is waiting to be installed.

Now let's talk about oil leaks.  My rear seal (probably the housing and not the seal) is leaking so bad it caused the clutch to make some WONDERFUL noises.  Unfortunately I will be dropping the subframe, oilpan, transmission and t-case to get this all fixed.  

You cannot replace the rear seal and housing without first removing the oilpan.  Lesson learned, now it is time to pay my dues to the car-gawds.

Edited by system_f

• 3 weeks later...

Dual swing out tire carrier is done.  I thought about building a full bumper but wanted to keep the factory look of the vehicle as much as possible. I have to figure out what to do to pretty-up the hinge holes in the bumper plastic, but other than that it is done.

The latch I had to order from Amazon, works perfectly.

IMG_20181216_112211-small.jpg

I used an axle shaft off my old Pathfinder as the wheel mount.  I don't care for the look but I like the nostalgia and it is hidden when the tire is attached.

IMG_20181216_112303-small.jpg

These are the best hinges I have found.  Double shear, nice bearings and have the nice lockout feature when open.

IMG_20181216_112306-small.jpg

I didn't get a rear facing shot, but I did get a side shot.  I can still use the review mirror and see out of the back due to the tire being offset on the passenger side.  The driver side swing-out is going to get some rotopax cans and other goodies when I can afford it.

IMG_20181216_113808-small.jpg

The next items on the to-do list are:

-Pull transmission/tcase and drop subframe for oilpan gasket/rear seal/oil soaked clutch  <- this is going to be the SUCK...maybe over xmas holidays.

-Fix the rear passenger fender extender

-Build slid out for fridge

-Build sleeping area in the back and storage area

-Lights Lights and more lights, need lights

For the future:

I want to go back to having an off-road trailer and I am going one of two ways:  Go all out and build a sleep in (tear drop style) trailer that weighs less than 2500lbs or build a roof top tent trailer that weighs less than 1000lbs.  I am leaning towards the tear-drop style sleep in with a spot for the roof top tent on top.   This sounds like a good excuse to become proficient at aluminum welding.

The rooftop tent weights 125, tires and wheels about 180, axle about 45 , and at least 15 gallons of water 120 so that is a start off weight of 485.

• Like 9

Well done!  I was telling @Astrorami the other week about taking a very similar approach.  Definitely good use for that axle shaft...I'm sitting on a few WD21 shafts right now and I'm thinking one or two would be perfect for something similar.  I was already thinking about using the splined ends for maybe making a test tool for rebuilding LSDs, that would give me use for the other end.

• Like 1

That tire carrier looks pretty slick, I like it!  I haven't seen a custom rear bumper that I like better than stock, so your solution is nice.  I think I've seen a similar solution done once before and I hope more people do it.

On 12/17/2018 at 10:34 AM, system_f said:

Dual swing out tire carrier is done.  I thought about building a full bumper but wanted to keep the factory look of the vehicle as much as possible. I have to figure out what to do to pretty-up the hinge holes in the bumper plastic, but other than that it is done.

The latch I had to order from Amazon, works perfectly.

IMG_20181216_112211-small.jpg

I used an axle shaft off my old Pathfinder as the wheel mount.  I don't care for the look but I like the nostalgia and it is hidden when the tire is attached.

IMG_20181216_112303-small.jpg

These are the best hinges I have found.  Double shear, nice bearings and have the nice lockout feature when open.

IMG_20181216_112306-small.jpg

I didn't get a rear facing shot, but I did get a side shot.  I can still use the review mirror and see out of the back due to the tire being offset on the passenger side.  The driver side swing-out is going to get some rotopax cans and other goodies when I can afford it.

IMG_20181216_113808-small.jpg

The next items on the to-do list are:

-Pull transmission/tcase and drop subframe for oilpan gasket/rear seal/oil soaked clutch  <- this is going to be the SUCK...maybe over xmas holidays.

-Fix the rear passenger fender extender

-Build slid out for fridge

-Build sleeping area in the back and storage area

-Lights Lights and more lights, need lights

For the future:

I want to go back to having an off-road trailer and I am going one of two ways:  Go all out and build a sleep in (tear drop style) trailer that weighs less than 2500lbs or build a roof top tent trailer that weighs less than 1000lbs.  I am leaning towards the tear-drop style sleep in with a spot for the roof top tent on top.   This sounds like a good excuse to become proficient at aluminum welding.

The rooftop tent weights 125, tires and wheels about 180, axle about 45 , and at least 15 gallons of water 120 so that is a start off weight of 485.

That tire carrier is a great solution...I'm upgrading tires after I finish my suspension, so have been trying to think through options. Congrats on getting through that rebuild...great work.