1995 pathfinder

what is the best Axel  housing unit  to use on a 95 that' not full-ize I want a narrow. I don't want a Dana 44 I want to keep as close to factory as I can , this is my first Nissan I'm use to toyota

For a solid front axle swap? "Best" is going to depend on your budget and what you want out of it. If you've got budget for days you might check this out. Same diff as the rear so it should be hell for stout. I've also heard of guys running Patrol axles but good luck finding one in the US (and IIRC the diff's on the wrong side for the stock transfer case anyway).

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

For a solid front axle swap? "Best" is going to depend on your budget and what you want out of it. If you've got budget for days you might check this out. Same diff as the rear so it should be hell for stout. I've also heard of guys running Patrol axles but good luck finding one in the US (and IIRC the diff's on the wrong side for the stock transfer case anyway).

I was going to suggest that as well; if you've got the budget, that would be the way to do it.  I seemed to remember it being closer to $4000 or $5000 though, maybe that was for a completed axle with all internals?

There we go that seems more right, haha.  Very expensive, but if the OP has the money to do it, then heck yeah!

I'd suggest checking out the SAS Nissan page on Facebook.  I want to say I remember seeing somebody on there say something about modifying a rear H233B to have steering.....huge job obviously, but if you've got skills rather than money that may be a good alternate route.  Or at that point it would be way easier to chop a D44 down.

what I'm looking for is a smaller Axel set up like out of a jeep possibly  something small but durable.  I have done several sas on Toyota 4runner with a older solid Axel pre 87  so I'm looking for something Nissan may make or  one that would match that I wouldn't habe to do modifications  to housing , sorta like the Toyota  cut the  ifs  Rollin older  solid Axel and go 4wheelin. does anybody know of anything  to be used for this installation  I appreciate  any and all comments. thank you 

The only Nissan solid axle truck I'm aware of is the Patrol, which are rare over here (they quit selling them in the US in 1969). Looks like the Bronco IIs were twin traction beam, not solid axle, and the guys who SAS them use D44s from earlier Broncos or D30s from Jeeps. The D30 doesn't have a great reputation with the Jeep guys, though, and the higher-end Jeeps came with D44s. Some guys use Jeep Wagoneer front axles in Pathfinders--also D44s.

Also keep in mind that you'll need to match the gearing in your front and rear axles. The stock rear end has 4.3 or 4.6 gearing, though some Xterras had 4.9 gears. Aftermarket gears are available but of course they're not cheap.

If there was a nice easy drop-in option that didn't cost nine times what the truck did, I think a lot more of us would ditch the IFS!

In addition to what slartibartfast said, you may also want to keep bolt pattern in mind.  A lot of people like the Wagoneer axles because it has the correct bolt pattern, the diff is on the correct side, it's barely too wide if I remember right, and you can do 4.88 gears in that to match 4.9's that you can swap into the rear end from an Xterra.

• Like 1