Front strut / components replacement - fair price? $$$

Hey guys-

My 98 pathy has slowly turned into a floaty boat over the last year. The bounce in the front of it after going slowly over a speedbump or even going fast on the sea to sky highway but hitting a light dip in the road--- can be a little sketch when driving 110km.

I have no tools and very limited knowledge so I don't believe this is a swap I could do myself...

My usual shop in Vancouver (I won't name them) has quoted me ~$1420 CAD before tax to have the front struts replaced and necessary components (bumps stops and bellows kit, stabilizer bar end links, wheel alignment). Is this a fair price from a shops perspective for this work based on your experiences? Money is super tight at the moment so I would like to find a cheaper solution if possible. 

Also- am I at risk of drastically damaging something or getting in an accident should I continue driving with the brutal front struts for a while until I can save up?

Thanks so much

Edited by mbailey802

You could buy all the tools and parts you need for way less than $1400. I don’t know if that’s too much for a shop to quote or not, it’s probably not, but it’s too much for me to pay..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys-

My 98 pathy has slowly turned into a floaty boat over the last year. The bounce in the front of it after going slowly over a speedbump or even going fast on the sea to sky highway but hitting a light dip in the road--- can be a little sketch when driving 110km.

I have no tools and very limited knowledge so I don't believe this is a swap I could do myself...

My usual shop in Vancouver (I won't name them) has quoted me ~$1420 CAD before tax to have the front struts replaced and necessary components (bumps stops and bellows kit, stabilizer bar end links, wheel alignment). Is this a fair price from a shops perspective for this work based on your experiences? Money is super tight at the moment so I would like to find a cheaper solution if possible. 

Also- am I at risk of drastically damaging something or getting in an accident should I continue driving with the brutal front struts for a while until I can save up?

Thanks so much
In the US at least, you could get the complete quick change strut package pair for $400 from any generic part store. You could probably get OEM equivalent pieces for about the same you have to assemble.

If you were handy and had normal hand tools, you'd only need buy or borrow a McPherson strut compressor for $60 if you didn't use the quick change struts. An alignment is $80 and preferred but not strictly necessary. Tie rod ends are not part of a normal strut replacement, but maybe they looked at yours and they were worn.

If you drive like grandma on city streets then waiting a little while is probably OK. But if you drive on the highway or even a little aggressive, a wobbly front end is dangerous and could contribute to an accident especially during an evasive maneuver.

In the US for a normal strut replacement, not including tie rod ends, but including an alignment, a reasonable price I would expect $800.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bump stop replacement also isn't common to a strut replacement. But at the age of the truck it might be reasonable. And it should be very cheap to do with non OEM parts.

I just replaced my whole front end on my 97 Quey. The labor was free because I done it myself but all the parts I got for under $600. Personally I would buy the struts complete I wouldn't change out the springs. So much easier to pull the old one out and just stick a new one in instead of compressing the Old Spring and yada yada yada. It's really not as hard as you think it would be to do this I would read as much literature as I could and just do it myself any questions you have we will answer.

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

Sweet - just thought of a friend who may have a bit of experience with this as well as some tools. Gonna see if he's able to help me and if so I will get your guys recommendations on parts!

Will a couple of these get me off in a good direction?

https://www.amazon.ca/KYB-335016-Excel-G-Replacement-Strut/dp/B000CODES4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1531852625&sr=8-2&keywords=1998+nissan+pathfinder+struts

Any other suggestions? I spend most of my time in the pathfinder driving on the highway and turning off onto forest service roads to go camping etc on the weekend. The pathfinder does take a good beating! I should get new coils as well?

You shouldn't need new coils unless you buy the package to just avoid building them up yourself with a McPherson strut compressor.

You also need the strut mount isolators that go at the top in the case you don't use the pre-built strut package.

That's why I'd buy the whole rig as one. The struts that are on your truck truck I'm sure are worn out. The springs may be good but they got some wear on them. I personally woukd never use the spring again unless the spring was fairly new to begin with.

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

The Lordco near me quoted on some parts. They didn't have the quick struts (pre assembled) in stock but here's what they do have:

Prices in CAD

140 each for the struts

76 each mounts

200 for the set of springs

I think I'm going to buy the parts and see if I can tackle this with a buddy. I'm pretty new at this but he has a bit more experience than me haha.