Drivers side rear drum pops! 97 QX4

Installed brakes all the way around on my 97 Quey. New rotors and new drums also. The problem I'm having is the driver side drum every now and again will pop. It happens almost on a regular basis. The pop is loud. Sometimes it happens when coming to a stop, pulling out and going over bumps it doesn't matter. At first I thought it was a suspension problem but it's almost like something is catching and then popping back into place probably a brake shoe I'm assuming. I need help in diagnosing this I have taken them apart back apart and put them back together three or four times to make sure it was done correctly all the Springs are in the right place. Everything is new including all hardware. Pass side drum doesn't do this. As far as adjusting the rear drums I've done the spinning of the wheel and adjust the adjuster till you feel a little drag and then there supposed to adjust automatically every time you engage the parking break. Am I missing something? I do have the LSV on top of rear end.PLEASE HELP fellow NPORA members.

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

How's the backing plate look where the shoes touch it? Any wear/grooves? That's about all I can think of.
The backing plate looks fine. I wonder if the LSV is where the problem is. I don't understand. It's almost like something is catching and all of a sudden it pops back into place. It's only on the driver side and sometimes if I go over a bump leaning to the right and the driver side rear wheel comes up a little bit sometimes it pops or if I'm pulling out sometimes it may pop and then sometimes it might not do it at all. I'm stumped

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

I've never messed with an LSV so I don't have much to go on there. I guess you could remove the spring between the bracket on the axle and the LSV (if you can without screwing up the adjustment on the bracket) and see if the LSV arm moves freely or if it feels like it's catching on something.

The shoes aren't on backwards, are they? I've heard about guys accidentally swapping front and rear shoes and having issues, though I don't remember popping being one of them.

I've never messed with an LSV so I don't have much to go on there. I guess you could remove the spring between the bracket on the axle and the LSV (if you can without screwing up the adjustment on the bracket) and see if the LSV arm moves freely or if it feels like it's catching on something.

The shoes aren't on backwards, are they? I've heard about guys accidentally swapping front and rear shoes and having issues, though I don't remember popping being one of them.
If In backwards do you mean a new set of shoes have a leading shoe and a following shoe? I thought there the same. In that case maybe. I know if you take shoes that have been used off and put them back on you want to make sure and put the one that was leading on first. New I didn't know it made a difference.

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

I don't know for sure if it matters on an R50, but I've heard of it causing problems on some domestic rigs where one shoe tends to have a longer lining than the other. The FSM labels the leading and trailing shoe separately but doesn't appear to say anything about there being a difference between them.

The brake shoes for our trucks (for at least my R50 and D22) are identical.  The only thing that makes them side and position specific is the parking brake hardware, which gets transferred from your prior brake set.

Did you apply brake grease on all contact points?  I.e., the tabs that seat in the brake cylinder pistons; at the bottom where the shoes pivot; a few flat spots where the shoes rest against the backing plate.

Since the drum is stationary to the wheel and seated with the axle shaft, I don't think it's the problem.  I can't think of anything that sees enough movement under the drum when everything is seated and adjusted properly.  But, that all said, you may want to check for any lateral play on the axle shaft bearing.  May also want to check the edges of the brake shoes...not sure it's possible, but maybe the brake shoe is lodging into the drum a little and pulling away from the backing plate, and then the springs are snapping it back against the plate.  I'd think in that scenario, you'd either feel it in the brakes or have some sort of chatter.

Got any pics of the installed brake parts, in case anything stands out?

• 2 months later...
The brake shoes for our trucks (for at least my R50 and D22) are identical.  The only thing that makes them side and position specific is the parking brake hardware, which gets transferred from your prior brake set.

Did you apply brake grease on all contact points?  I.e., the tabs that seat in the brake cylinder pistons; at the bottom where the shoes pivot; a few flat spots where the shoes rest against the backing plate.

Since the drum is stationary to the wheel and seated with the axle shaft, I don't think it's the problem.  I can't think of anything that sees enough movement under the drum when everything is seated and adjusted properly.  But, that all said, you may want to check for any lateral play on the axle shaft bearing.  May also want to check the edges of the brake shoes...not sure it's possible, but maybe the brake shoe is lodging into the drum a little and pulling away from the backing plate, and then the springs are snapping it back against the plate.  I'd think in that scenario, you'd either feel it in the brakes or have some sort of chatter.

Got any pics of the installed brake parts, in case anything stands out?
I've got all the brakes right not being a smartass I do know how to do brakes but now I'm beginning to think it might have something to do with the trailing arms or something maybe the trailing arm on the driver side the bushings are out of it but when I look at it it don't really look bad but when I feel the pop it kind of feels like it might be right behind the driver seat in the floorboard underneath if you know what I mean that's why I'm thinking it might be a trailing arm bushing. What do you think here's something else that's crazy when it's dry outside it really doesn't do it but when it's raining that's when it really doesn't bad

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

18 hours ago, Mrelcocko said:

I've got all the brakes right not being a smartass I do know how to do brakes but now I'm beginning to think it might have something to do with the trailing arms or something maybe the trailing arm on the driver side the bushings are out of it but when I look at it it don't really look bad but when I feel the pop it kind of feels like it might be right behind the driver seat in the floorboard underneath if you know what I mean that's why I'm thinking it might be a trailing arm bushing. What do you think here's something else that's crazy when it's dry outside it really doesn't do it but when it's raining that's when it really doesn't bad

No offense taken.  We don't always know each other's experience level, so sometimes you'll get replies that are just meant to confirm you've done some basics.  We just don't have enough information to know, and doing something multiple times doesn't imply knowledge of how to do it properly (not to say you're not doing it right).  I have teams of people that I work with that are experts at that.

So do you think the issue was introduced by the installation, or just coincidental?

If you think it's a trailing arm bushing, shine a light up into the upper mount and check if the arm is centered in all directions around the inner sleeve of the bushing.  Check for any marks on the steel where contact might occur.  Push/pull the arms excessively to gauge any play.

Did you buy Raybestos shoes? They are well known for absorbing water which makes them swell a little.

I bet you have your drum brakes adjusted a little too tight. And really it’s not that they’re too tight but that the shoes swell and it makes them too tight. Back the star off 2-3 full rounds and see if the problem goes away. Or, if your parking brake is well adjusted, back off on your stars until the ebrake handle bites hard between 1/2 and 3/4 up.

I adjust my drums where the ebrake bites hard at like three clicks just so I don’t have to adjust them often, but if my shoes were the type which swell then I’d have major problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1