TD27 Turbo has gone

Hey,

turbo on my secondary Pathfinder (Terrano) called it quits - car gradually lost power to the point where it still runs, but everytime I try to accelerate with a bit higher revs and the turbo starts to spool, it leaves a cloud of smoke behind. Exterior of the turbo and engine looks absolutely clean, so the damage must be internal.
Does anyone know how expensive would the worst case scenario be or has experience with the turbo diesels? I hope it hasn´t damaged the engine.

It´s a 1992 WD21.

I haven't worked on a turbo system, but I have watched a lot of Mighty Car Mods... :lol:

My first check would be to disconnect the intake side of the turbo and check if the turbine looks good and spins true or if it's all sloppy and chewed up. If the turbine is damaged, the engine may have ingested the missing material--hopefully not. If the turbine itself looks okay, maybe your wastegate isn't closing, maybe you've got an exhaust restriction in the exhaust system, or maybe you've got a boost leak between the turbo and the motor.

The usual "worst case" I read about with turbos is that the oil seals fail, crankcase oil sprays into the intake, and the engine "runs away" and revs like crazy until you find a way to stall it or until it blows up. Look for oil in the intake or intercooler. Given that it sounds like yours is just starving for boost and running rich, it might have some carbon buildup in the cylinders or emissions equipment if it's got that, but hopefully it hasn't done any real damage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

I haven't worked on a turbo system, but I have watched a lot of Mighty Car Mods... :lol:

Possibly the best content available on YouTube!

And yeah, I would take the turbo thing seriously.  I don't know a lot about them, but I do know that if something goes really wrong they can do a lot of damage to an engine.

Thanks for your input! 

Took it to a shop - got it back 4 hours later and felt really stupid when the mechanic told me that "you should change the air filter once in a while". They had run the pressure tests and opened the turbo up - all in order, even though the compressor blades looked scratched (probably some particles had made it through during the 26 years of service, as the turbo is original). Everything pointed towards the engine not getting enough air, so they replaced the filter and also claimed to have test driven it - no problems after.

About 3 klicks out of the shop with everything running smoothly, until, again - no power, black smoke in rear view and back to the works followed by surprised faces all around. Traced it back to a faulty solenoid, temporary workaround was to cut off the solenoid with blocked tubes (Nissan only has original factory solenoid blocks that cost about 400-500€).

TL;DR: Faulty solenoid block.

Edited by Dezervon

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2018 at 4:40 PM, dogla said:

Which solenoid would that be if I may ask?

Hey,

The TD27t turbo has the boost controller (aka solenoid that controls the wastegate actuator) on the left side of the engine bay (when looking from the front of the car) - traceable by two hoses running from the turbo.

Edit: It is the first generation 1992 model´s config.

Edited by Dezervon