Pathfinder 97 Temperature

Good morning i have a question i dont know what is the correct temperature of the path mine is a 97 LX 4x4 truck, i have already change head gaskets, thermostat, water pump, clean the radiator and changed some old hoses, but the temperature is always at this level i dont know if this is the correct temperature.

Hope you guys can help me....

Pathfinder.jpg

Hey man. I also drive a 97 pathfinder. My gauge sits at the same level as yours, never seen it go any higher. It’s my understanding that the gauge position reflects a pretty wide temperature range. I have one of those Bluetooth OBD2 scanners hooked up to a tablet I keep in the car. There’s a coolant temperature sensor on it that I use for longer drives, my coolant is usually between the high 170s and mid 190s (Fahrenheit) when the gauge is in that position. I want to say the gauge won’t move any higher until the temp is like 220 or something, but I don’t know for sure.

My needle usually sits a little below halfway; I wouldn't worry about what the gauge says, I'd worry about what the actual temp is.  Like adudewithapathfinder said, I'd use an OBD2 scanner and a tablet or your phone to keep an eye on the coolant temp yourself to make sure it's where you want it.  Can't always trust gauges.

I suspect the radiator. I just went thru this same issue over the last year and my issue ended up being a plugged radiator. I even flushed my radiator with acid and it remained plugged!

You can grab a radiator for fairly cheap. I would go ahead and replace it so you can rule it out.

I actually was about to change my head gaskets also... but one day while it was over heating I turned off the engine and placed my hand on the radiator and the middle of the radiator was completely cold while the left and right side were blazing hot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Maybe the connection is bad. The sensor is super easy to access, its the single pin sensor that sits on top of the thermostat housing, give that connection a clean with a wire brush. 

If that doesn't produce a change, try pulling the cluster, inspecting for any bad or dirty solder joints on the coolant gauge. I've heard just brushing the joints can fix problems, but a fresh solder job is most likely the best long term solution. 

-Kyle

• Like 1

That's too high for "normal" operation. If you only flushed the rad, replace it. Also check the actual temp at the sending unit. It should be 180-195F. That's the normal range for these.

1 hour ago, adamzan said:

That's too high for "normal" operation. If you only flushed the rad, replace it. Also check the actual temp at the sending unit. It should be 180-195F. That's the normal range for these.

how can i check the temp at the sending unit