Home Made SFD?

Jack9909

What's up guys, I've been dying to lift my truck but I want to do it big and stout with an sfd, I got Johann's measurements on the blocks and strut spacers but I wanted to make sure I know the right about of blocks to make and all. So far I think the "ingredients" are 4 engine blocks, 2 front sub frame blocks and 2 rear sub frame blocks that are mirrored, and of course the 2 strut spacers which should be interesting to make. But when I'm doing the sfd, do I need a new steering shaft? What do I have to do with the steering exactly? This is new territory for me and I want to make sure I am doing it as correct as possible before jumping into it. Also I'm not 100% sure if there's any other posts that have detailed step by step guides on the sfd install.

• Like 1

Id suggest getting more familiar with your car, and the kit parts first. I really don't want to sound rude, but it will help. There are lots of posts on installing them/pics of where they go I'd search "r50 pathfinder SFD install" online.

There are 2 engine blocks (I think I labeled my pics).

2 front subframe blocks

2 rear subframe blocks

You'll need a longer steering shaft. Use the search bar on this forum and search SFD steering link. Someone gave part numbers for buying them from woodward steering USA. If i remember correctly its a 108-201, 114-201 (joints), and a 5.75" 201 spline shaft with allen locks .5" either end. don't quote me though.

Overall I would suggest just reading some more posts about SFDs and the install. The more familiarized you get before diving head first, the better and more aware you'll be of all the other costs, and what goes where.

Hope this helped.

• Like 1

Yea definitely want to get more familiar with it all for sure I understand, I did see that one post with the woodward after I posted this of course, looks like a nice way to go. Thanks for help, was exactly what I needed!

• 2 months later...

Could you post all of the measurements that you have for the blocks and the strut spacers?

On 6/20/2018 at 6:43 PM, Jack9909 said:

What's up guys, I've been dying to lift my truck but I want to do it big and stout with an sfd, I got Johann's measurements on the blocks and strut spacers but I wanted to make sure I know the right about of blocks to make and all. So far I think the "ingredients" are 4 engine blocks, 2 front sub frame blocks and 2 rear sub frame blocks that are mirrored, and of course the 2 strut spacers which should be interesting to make. But when I'm doing the sfd, do I need a new steering shaft? What do I have to do with the steering exactly? This is new territory for me and I want to make sure I am doing it as correct as possible before jumping into it. Also I'm not 100% sure if there's any other posts that have detailed step by step guides on the sfd install.

I am looking into doing a SFD lift of 4 inches. It seems these days that there are no more of these lifts on the market. With that said I have been looking around to do this myself. The only thing I need to know is if I can do 4 inches over the struts with sfcreation spacers or if that would create a bad angle for the strut? If I cannot do it with the sfcreations lift is there anybody that could fabricate me some or where I could find some used ones maybe? Thanks

1 hour ago, johann_peralta said:

Yes, you can do a 4" sfd + 2" spacers. The cv angle will stay the same as just the 2" lift.

Would it be possible to do the 4 in subframe drop with 4 inches of sf

creations spacers for the struts?

Edited by Cbiggy

1 hour ago, Cbiggy said:

Would it be possible to do the 4 in subframe drop with 4 inches of sf

creations spacers for the struts?

No, the sfcreations spacers don't account for angle as you noted, and at past 2 inches or so that angle becomes far too great to let the camber be correctable, but I'm not sure that you could even make the strut bolt to the spindle.

1 minute ago, mjotrainbrain said:

No, the sfcreations spacers don't account for angle as you noted, and at past 2 inches or so that angle becomes far too great to let the camber be correctable, but I'm not sure that you could even make the strut bolt to the spindle.

Ok thanks, now I need to find where to get those strut spacers...

On 9/16/2018 at 5:06 PM, Cbiggy said:

Could you post all of the measurements that you have for the blocks and the strut spacers?

Yea sure, I never actually got around to making the blocks and stuff, but I've been doing a lot of work to my r50, might be time to get the welder out once this rain gets out of here.

Here's a google photos album I have of pics for the sfd from an R50 facebook page, johann_peralta's I believe so he'd be the person to help you decipher these. ?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SKRkuqaP8TRb91Ew7

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, dogla said:

How much lift do these provide?

These SFDs can be custom made for any amount of lift, but like 90% of everyone does 4", that google link of the SFD pictures are for a 4" lift setup.