04 pathy Front Drivers CV axle at differential flange

DivaD

Anyone ever experience grease leaking from the axle flat front face with cv boots intact & excellent condition? Somehow the bolts from axle to diff flange came out & sheared another off leaving its end in the diff bolt hole. The mechanic is telling me the entire axle has to be replaced as the flat faced end of the axle is oozing grease. When the disconnect happened of course I heard it & pulled immediately into a parking lot. Turned the wheels so I could inspect. I saw the result. Not a bit of grease on the diff side & dont recall seeing any grease anywhere ????.

So from why Ive described... any insight apart from an attempt to get the shaft... pardon the pun. Thanks in advance.

Can't say I've had that issue, but I can say this much...

If there is grease on the face of the differential side shaft (what the CV bolts to), it's likely from the backside of the CV. The boot keeps grease on one side of the CV joint, but there's a cap (kind of like a paint can lid) that does the same on the reverse. If that cap is damaged, it might warrant a new CV since I don't think the cap is a replacement item.

If it's not grease, it would have to be gear oil. While there is an oil seal behind the differential side shaft, it wouldn't produce oil on the face. However, there is an o-ring on the long bolt in the center of the side shaft that, if compromised, would allow oil out over time.

Are you saying some of the CV shaft bolts went missing, and the one(s) that remained ended up shearing off? Is it possible the CVs were rebuilt, the caps were damaged during the process, and the bolts not torqued down?

Amazing what happens when a Prairie girl digs her heels in...

Not one of the 6 12mm bolts left. The end of one was still in the differential flange that got drilled out. Its been rebolted on with new bolts, washers & lock tite (that should be fun to deal with when the time comes) & there apparently is a vent hole at that flat face so thats where the grease came from. As if. There was more b.s. going on in that encounter than a years full at a stockyard. The truck drives fine & I know what the symptoms of a CV axle on its way out acts like.

The Nissan service shops in Alberta are only to happy to answer a Ladys questions. This forum is a God send. Thankyou too Hararish! Enjoy your day!

• Like 1