Camshaft replacement WD21 VG30 question

JamesRich

I know how to replace the camshafts but have one question about doing it in the truck. Do the cams come out without having to jack the motor or some other crazy @!*% for clearance? I don't have a body lift. From eyeballing it, I think maybe removing the A/C condenser and grill? looks like they will clear the header panel.

James

I know how to replace the camshafts but have one question about doing it in the truck. Do the cams come out without having to jack the motor or some other crazy @!*% for clearance? I don't have a body lift. From eyeballing it, I think maybe removing the A/C condenser and grill? looks like they will clear the header panel.

James

I recall someone doing it on their VG33 without any craziness a long time ago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Yes I read the post about the VG33 in an R50, I just want to know if the cams will clear on a WD21. I changed my heads a while back and put some schneider regrinds, they haul ass when stepping on it but don't tow worth a crap! I want to put the stock cams back in without pulling the heads!

James

I'd be happy to sell them because I'll won't use them again, its the 131H grind, but.... Schneider apparently sucks at grinding a cam straight up! You would need adjustable gears and a degree wheel to get them running right.

I put them in with the stock gears and it would hardly idle. I could push it to 8K rpms though and it would really pull hard after 4K. I put a degree wheel on it and found the passenger cam was retarded 26 degrees and the driver side cam was retarded 20 degrees! It took me a while, which is why I want to keep them, to get a set of russ's (I think) adjustable gears and I set them both advanced 4 degrees. I actually had to jump a tooth on one of the gears to get them timed correctly, you can't go by the markings he puts on the gears. Now it has a slight skip at idle and run good around town. Really pulls good when I stretch out the gears, I love the idle too! But when I pull my big trailer I have to run the hell out of it to get to speed. Doesn't seem to have the pulling torque of the factory cams. Also I have a carburetor and chevy distributor, I used a wide band sensor to tune it. I don't know how they would react with factory fuel injection.

Edited by JamesRich

Since no one else on this forum has replaced their VG30 cams in their WD21 I'll let y'all know, the cams do clear without jacking the motor! With the radiator removed, of course, the cams pass right above the A/C condenser. The driver side is a little longer and would have hit the grill, but I was able to just push the grill down a little and it cleared. I'm gonna miss the lumpy idle & top end power from the Schneider cams but the stock cams do have more power down low.

James

• Like 2

Others have, including myself.... twice. But I just could not remember if I had to do anything special to get them out or back in the second time, when I installed aftermarket grinds, so I didn't chime in here.

The first time, was when I broke one,and for that I had the heads off. That was stock grind replacements.