E85 in the 95 Turbo, let's see what happens.

I have decided to see how much ethanol the fuel system in the truck. I'm shooting for around 50 percent. I'll update you guys later today, wish me luck.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme Pro using Tapatalk

I am to the point where I need higher octane fuel than the 91 pump gas we get here. An E50 blend should put octane numbers around 95 to 100. You just have to supply 20 to 30 percent more fuel vs straight gasoline.

So I went down to the local fueling hole, and topped up the tank with E85, I put in 10 gal and figured i had around 7 gal of regular premium still in the tank. As I pulled it to a parking lot next to the fuel station to adjust the tune the wideband o2 started reading very lean, which is exactly what I expected. I added 20% more fuel to the entire fuel table, and dropped the boost down to 7-8 psi. It drove extremely well, and all of my air fuel ratios were pretty close. I still have some fine tuning to do, and need to get the boost turned back up slowly, but it looks like it is working well so far.

I just got back from doing some pulls, I have the boost turned back up to about 13 psi, AFR's are a touch on the rich side under boost. I have not touched timing yet, but she seems to pull just as hard if not harder. Injector duty cycle is at 90% so I am right on the high side of that. My knock sensor light that usually starts to blink a bit at me when I push it this hard has not lit up even once, so I am definitely seeing benefits from the added octane and cooling effects. Next step is to dial in the AFR under boost and add some timing. :laugh:

So I have turned the boost up to about 14.5 , and added about 3 degrees of timing so far and still looking good on all the data logs. Injector duty cycle hit 97 percent on one pull but all the AFR' s stayed consistent . So we will push it a bit further.

I pulled a fuel sample and tested ethanol content and we are sitting right at 40 percent.

• Like 1

That is awesome! Are you feeling a significant difference? I wonder what your fuel mileage would do under normal driving conditions with your new tune and setup

That is awesome! Are you feeling a significant difference? I wonder what your fuel mileage would do under normal driving conditions with your new tune and setup

The difference from pre ethanol to post ethanol is quite noticeable, especially while tuning. I'm running more boost with more timing than I could before. The difference pre turbo to post turbo is freaking incredible. Last I checked my mileage on 91 pump gas I was around 12.5. With the added ethanol I bet mileage is down to 10 or less. And I can't keep my foot out of it so that doesn't help

I have a question, I know I can PM you but keeping it on the forum allows other people to learn as well. I am about to start my research and purchasing to upgrade my fuel injectors, use megasquirt, and probably at the same time or later build the turbo kit. Question is, I know the mega squirt is managing the engine instead of the stock ECU, and If I understand right, the stock ECU is staying in to manage the rest of the car, is that correct? Are you still able to maintain the stock guages? Or do the guages become dead and you had to install aftermarket hardware?

Also, were you able to find an A-pillar guage mount for your boost, O2 sensor, etc that fit well in the pathy?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

These guys do a pillar gauge pod for these. Pictures/reviews here.

I think the only thing the stock ECU does besides control the engine is send info the trans computer (if you've got an auto trans), send a signal to the tach, and control the check engine light. I'm curious how the tach's hooked up but I wouldn't be surprised if the Megasquirt could send the same signal the stock ECU does.

I'll bet two atmospheres of boost wakes a WD21 right the hell up!

• Like 1

In my setup the stock ECU is nonexistent, the megasquirt ecu does send a tach signal to the dash, all of the other gauges are wired directly to their senders so removing the ecu does not effect them. I had purchased a gauge pod a while back on a group buy here on NPORA but I lost it somehow. The only aftermarket gauges I have at the moment are, wideband o2, boost, and an led for knock sensing. All just stuffed in the dash, but it looks pretty clean. So every thing on the dash works like stock except the check engine light.

And two atmospheres worth of boost wakes this thing the hell up for sure. :laugh:

• Like 1

That is great to hear! So I won't be doing anything with the old ECU, since I have a manual trans. Does your AC work separately as well? or will that rely on the computer?

What do you do for a CEL, does mega squirt do anything? I cant imagine you really need anything besides a knock sensor, oil pressure, water temp, but I could be wrong. I feel like the CEL is probably not necessary anymore.

Thanks for posting the gauge pod link! I am stoked I can get a paint matched gauge pod!

No AC because the turbskie sits right where the compressor was. But if you mounted the turbo different you may be able to keep the ac. No CEl hooked up, I just keep an eye on the datalogs pretty frequently to make sure nothing is going on. What the megasquirt needs to run an engine well is, crank position, manifold pressure, throttle position, coolant temp, intake air temp and an o2. You can add knock sensing(which i have), oil pressure, exhaust gas temp,etc etc, as needed for tuning purposes.

That's awesome info thank you! I will definitely have to find a way to keep my AC. I may be a bit of a sissy, but in the California desert I would rather have AC even if it meant no turbo! but I am sure I will figure something out.

yeah that is a good point. I am worried it will eat up some fuel mileage having a S/C for normal highway driving. I wonder if I can make the supercharger work with all of the 3.0 accessories and pulleys, I used a Mr,510 adapter so I wouldn't have to use the 3.3 accessories. I definitly feel like a S/C would be easier than having to reroute exhaust and finding a spot for the turbo to sit.

There was a guy on here that kept the v belts and used a separate pulley welded on after the last one on the oem piece. I cant find it now but will post it when I do.

I saw a guy on youtube a while back with a two-door who remote-mounted a turbo. IIRC it was basically under the truck. Seems like a bad idea for a wheeler but would get around the space issue without changing anything in the engine bay.

That said, if you shift a few things around, maybe move the battery to the back, seems to me you could make a fair amount of room in the engine bay without losing the aircon.

Snowboard. do you think your injectors are large enough to go in a 3.3 with megasquirt and a turbo? I am having a hard time finding compatible injectors. I am glad to know that you subaru injectors fit and I can simply rewire the harness to make them work. I am just worried they may be too small if you are topped out on the duty cycle. (Although I may never run E85) So maybe that makes them large enough for me.

The injectors in this would more than likely get you well north of 15psi on gasoline. I think most Subaru side feed injectors will fit with minimal if any modifications. But I have not had a chance to try any. A remote turbo could be a really good option for being able to keep all the engine accessories.

Awesome that's good to hear. I wouldn't want to over boost my truck, I just want to keep the reliability, increase mpg a tad on my 200mile highway drive I do often, and bring the power up for towing and wheeling,. I wouldn't think I need to put near 15psi down if I want to maintain reliability on a stock vg33 bottom end. I was just thinking about a remote turbo yesterday, I'm a bit worried about submerging it on water crossings and stuff. my brother and I were looking yesterday and think the passenger side might be a nice place to put everything, I can relocate the battery to the back, then I don't worry about the brake/clutch master, getting around the front diff/drive shaft. Just need to figure out a wrap around tube from driver to passenger and where to mount an intercooler since I have the ac condensor and winch bumper to contend with.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...