1994 Pathfinder - Reluctor / Distributor Problem ?

PathinTX

Hello All

I am extremely Puzzled ...

I have a 1994 v6 VG30

5-speed - manual

262,000 miles

my 1994 is extremely well taken care of

I do all my repairs / upkeep

here's the issue.

Nov 2017

Idles perfect 800-900 rpm

One day in Nov 2017 - It started misfiring at 2500-3000 RPM - estimated

I was told it was the ICM - Ignition Control Mod - was bad

So I bought a ICM - installed it - it didnt seem to fix it - right away - so just fooling around - I took off the Coil Wire and reinstalled .. and drove it and wow no more misfiring

Drives like New again

Note: Recent – New: Plugs/wires, cap / rotor

Now we are in May 2018

About Mid-May -- it started doing the same thing - misfiring / backfire running real rough 2500-3000 rpm - no power

So I thought ICM going bad - changed out - installed new ICM - DID NOT HELP

Was told that a Coil that is going bad / getting hot will create misfire

Changed the Coil – New Coil did not fix it

So I changed the Cap/Rotor and Plugs and Plug Wires

No Help - did not fix it

Was now told that the Reluctor in the Distributor is the Problem and need to install New Distributor

Repeat Problem for you

Start up – runs prefect for 10 minutes – then engine is at normal operating temperture – then it starts to misfire / backfire at 2000+ Rpm

Let it cold down – starts runs prefect for 10 mins then repeats problem

Will a Bad Reluctor create this problem ?

Try unplugging the o2 sensor and see if it runs better. That sounds like what happened when mine went. If it has never been changed, well it is 24 years old.

Also you can do the same with the coolant temp sensor. It will run in a default fuel trim (way rich) but it should run smooth.

It is not as common for the distributor to fail on the VG30E, that's a VG33E issue. But I guess anything can happen. Mine has the original 275k mile one on it and still works perfect.

Edited by adamzan

Probably the reluctor or magnetic pickup as some refer to it as. It's inside the distributor. They commonly go bad with old age or high miles (lots of heat cycles). Generally a very cheap part if you can just buy the part. Not sure what you'll get into on this though. May have to buy a whole distributor to get it.

• 4 years later...

Did you ever resolve this???  I am having nearly an identical issue, with what sounds like nearly an identical rig (1993, 5 speed manual, 260k ish miles).  Would love to hear what you ended up doing and what/if anything worked, before I throw more parts at mine.

So far I've tried both coolant sensors/senders and a fuel filter, to no improvement.  Previous owner claims they tried spark plugs, plug wires, coil, catalytic converter, & O2 sensor (no receipts, but parts look new).  Next up was going to be cap/rotor (and maybe try again on some ignition parts the PO claimed to have replaced), or maybe just a new distributor all together.  Runs fine when cold, but after running for a awhile starts to stumble and misfire/backfire bad when you try to give throttle.  Does seem to crank for a while to start also, which I'm not yet convinced is related, but maybe.  And only other oddity is the temp gauge never comes off cold, PO thought thermostat was stuck open maybe, but I'm not planning on diving that deep until I fix the rough running and do a timing belt.  Again, don't think this is related, but maybe...

You say, "Idles perfect 800-900 rpm, One day in Nov 2017 - It started misfiring at 2500-3000 RPM" 
 I am having a similar issue. My 95 V-6 Pathy either runs perfectly, or loses power to the point where it will only reach 25 mph.  Always idles smoothly. Fuel pressure is 32 lbs. with Fuel pressure regulator  connected, 43 with it disconnected. The pressure goes to zero immediatly when engine is killed. ( Not sure if that is normal )

Anyway, I am wondering if we have the same issue? When you say it misfires, what exactly does the car do? Loss of power, backfiring?

Ed - yes I replaced the Distributor ( 6/6/18 ) - with an AutoZone distributor and it fixed that problem immediately

My Nissan parts guy that ive know for 30 yrs told me a AutoZone distributor will not work in these Pathfinders and you need a Junk Yard Pathfinder distributor or Buy a New one from a Nissan Dealer ( me ) ---

Well it worked for me ( he retired 3 months ) but I still have another long time parts guy there that has a few yrs before retiring

fast Forward 4 yrs - I just rebuilt a Junk Yard Motor - I burned 3 pistons the rings broke in my original engine ( 300,000 ) ruined the cylinders and heads - clogged lifters

I knew there was major problem with my engine before even pulling it - thats why I pulled an engine from a junk yard pathfinder and rebuilt that Engine ..

I know an Excellent Machinist in McKinney, TX - he builds 3,000 hsp engines

New Engine cranked on Sept 4 2022 -- 3 weeks later - my tech has started jumping at 3000-3500-4000 rpm in 3rd gear ( std trans )

but i kept that original nissan pathfinder distributor off that junk yard motor

I think I am going to Warranty that Autozone Distributor - thats one reason to get Autozone - get a New FREE Replacement Distributor

Edited by PathinTX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/11/2022 at 7:16 AM, ed08 said:

Did you ever resolve this???  I am having nearly an identical issue, with what sounds like nearly an identical rig (1993, 5 speed manual, 260k ish miles).  Would love to hear what you ended up doing and what/if anything worked, before I throw more parts at mine.

So far I've tried both coolant sensors/senders and a fuel filter, to no improvement.  Previous owner claims they tried spark plugs, plug wires, coil, catalytic converter, & O2 sensor (no receipts, but parts look new).  Next up was going to be cap/rotor (and maybe try again on some ignition parts the PO claimed to have replaced), or maybe just a new distributor all together.  Runs fine when cold, but after running for a awhile starts to stumble and misfire/backfire bad when you try to give throttle.  Does seem to crank for a while to start also, which I'm not yet convinced is related, but maybe.  And only other oddity is the temp gauge never comes off cold, PO thought thermostat was stuck open maybe, but I'm not planning on diving that deep until I fix the rough running and do a timing belt.  Again, don't think this is related, but maybe...

FYI in case it helps anyone down the road, the symptoms mine had were completely resolved.  I ended up doing a bunch of maintenance work all at once (timing belt service, water pump, thermostat, cap, rotor, coils, plug wires, plugs, coolant sensors, ....), but I'm convinced replacing only the distributor would've resolved my issues.  The one I removed was very difficult to spin, almost to the point where you couldn't spin the gear by hand in places, and the position sensor was quite dirty also.  I went with a used unit off eBay with supposed low miles, and so far so good!

• Like 1