Shocks for a 2" lift

theexbrit

Hey all, haven't been on for a while but I finally swapped my bent old rear axle for straight one & I want to fit ne shocks. I have Bilstein 5100's at the moment but the bushings are all shot & I can't find new bushiings. The shocks came with the AC lift kit from 4x4parts & all I can find say they were a special order for that kit. I bought some bushings from Bilstein but they don't fit so I just figured I'd throw new shocks on. Anyway, my question is what's a decent, fairly cheap ($50 ea or less) shock for the rears with a 2" lift? I know some folks are using KYB 34388 shocks but they have an extended length of 23.14" & my Bilsteins sit at 20" on the ground, so 3.14" of extension ain't gonna work. Unless I'm reading something wrong.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I have been doing some research lately into lifting my Pathfinder, I just so happen to have a few numbers laying around.

KYB KG4163 - $40.79/ea

Max length: 23.7"

Compressed: 15.24"

Piston travel: 8.46"

Rancho RS5391 - $44.79/ea

Max length: 24.21"

Compressed: 15.1"

Piston travel: 9.11"

Monroe 37204 - $31.79/ea

Max length: 24.25"

Compressed: 15.125"

Piston travel: 9.125"

KYB 343379 - $31.79/ea

Max length: 24.17"

Compressed: 14.72"

Piston travel: 9.45"

Gabriel G63845 - $27.79/ea

Max length: 24.58"

Compressed: 14.8"

Piston travel: 9.78"

All of these prices were from RockAuto.

Unfortunately I cannot attest to valving or longevity of the individual shocks when it comes to wheeling. I'm sure that some of the older heads can chime in to help choose the right shock for you.

Or at least they would if this place wasn't a ghost town nowadays :P

Edited by Kickinwing
  • Like 3

Thanks for the reply, some good info for folks looking for shocks. I took one of my 5100 series shocks off & measured it, the closest I could find is a 5125 series (33-18552), 255/70 valving, 10.17 inches of travel, 15.91" compressed, 25.93" extended, $75 each. They got great reviews & are pretty much the same lengths as my old 5100's. The 5125's go on "upside down", with the boot at the bottom so they will give the truck a different look...................... https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-33-185552-5100-Shock-Absorber/dp/B00BYNJ7KG/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1527807925&sr=1-1&keywords=Bilstein+%2833-185552%29+5100+Series+Shock+Absorber

• Like 2

Those Bilstein's seem to be the ideal choice for a lifted R50. I know a lot of guys also recommend the KYB's. If I'm not planning on doing any hardcore flexing, would you say that 10" of piston travel is overkill? Should an extra inch of piston travel be the determining factor when deciding on rear shocks?

• Like 1

So, Bilstein recommend the 5100 series for up to 2" of lift, anything over that they say use 5125 or higher grade shocks. The KYB's would probably work fine for most 2" lifted R50's, I had the 5100 Bilsteins for about 6 years on mine & never had a problem, they are similar in length extended/compressed as the 5125's. My truck sat at 20"'s of shock length just on the ground so I needed at least 6" of travel or more, I have the AC kit rear springs with no spacers. The shock length isn't too big a deal as the sway bar is going to limit the travel anyway but when my rear axle is at full "droop" the sway bar & the shocks are at about 26" of travel & the sway bar is pretty much maxed out. The valve ratio on the 5125's is 225/70 so I should get a great, responsive ride in the rear. As for Kickinwing's question, I don't do any hard core flexing but I'd rather have too much flex available than too little, the KYB shocks would have been topping out too much for me & probably wouldn't last too long, if you can afford the Bilsteins I would go for it, I've never read a bad thing about them yet.

• Like 2

So I installed the 5125 Bilsteins today, holy cow what a difference!!! Smooth ride & the rear end is as tight as a ducks arse in water. A great set of shocks, so glad I went with them. The difference over my old 5100's is just amazing.

• Like 1

I guess I'm going to have to splurge for the 5125's. What is the specific part number associated with those? I've gotta price shop. There has to be a set available for less than what 4x4parts.com is asking. I'm trying to stay frugal to keep under the wife's radar! :laugh:

Edited because you already have the part number listed above in an earlier reply...whoops

Where did you buy those 5125's? If I were planning on adding a 1" spring spacer in the rear on top of a 2" AC spring, would that net enough travel? Or would I need to be looking into a different shock?

Edited by Kickinwing
  • Like 1

The shock will do you fine, there's not many cheaper shocks that have 10" of travel, more than that I think you'll have to lay out some major coin. Definitely won't be under the missus radar! :lmao::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I got mine from Amazon, seemed to be a good price.................... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BYNJ7KG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

On my 2002 QX4, the Bilstein sleeve in the install kit doesn't fit on the lower axle stud.

How did you guys get past that?

The old sleeve in the old bushing is also too large for the new bushing.

• 1 year later...
Did you ever figure out the 5125 Sleeve size dilema? I'm gathering needed parts for the 5125 (185552) rear shock install

No sleeve. Use with bushing only

Sent from my Pathfinder

• 10 months later...

Just an update, I've been using the bolts directly inside the bushing inner diameter and it's been working pretty well for about 7 months now, no bushing sleeve present. I am curious about the sleeve and if anyone has found one yet, but just to reinsure everyone, you don't need one to make it work. 

• 8 months later...
On 5/31/2018 at 4:06 PM, theexbrit said:

Thanks for the reply, some good info for folks looking for shocks. I took one of my 5100 series shocks off & measured it, the closest I could find is a 5125 series (33-18552), 255/70 valving, 10.17 inches of travel, 15.91" compressed, 25.93" extended, $75 each. They got great reviews & are pretty much the same lengths as my old 5100's. The 5125's go on "upside down", with the boot at the bottom so they will give the truck a different look...................... https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-33-185552-5100-Shock-Absorber/dp/B00BYNJ7KG/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1527807925&sr=1-1&keywords=Bilstein+%2833-185552%29+5100+Series+Shock+Absorber

On 3/5/2021 at 5:30 AM, R50JR said:

No sleeve. Use with bushing only

Sent from my Pathfinder

Does anyone know the difference between 5100 33-185552 and B8 5125 33-185552? ie: 5100 vs 5125? 

I can't seem to find reliable info on any differences and both are available at the same price for me to buy for my '02. Even the link above that is refereed to as a 5125 has 5100 in the name and PN but in another place on the amazon page has "B8 5125".

Are they the same?