a/c compressor fan clutch grinding noise

The noise is there when the a/c is off. I cut the belt when it started on my 95. It was winter, didn't need to fuss about it then. The pulley still moves freely, but I can feel the grinding. Is there an easy solution that is cheaper and with way less steps or do I need to swap out the entire a/c compressor? It was installed by myself and the boyfriend at the time guessing about 9 years ago. The a/c was still blowing cold, it was just the noise that had me worried....

edit:

just found this link:

I can't wait to get home from work and see if that's the issue, because that's what comes to mind.

Edited by PamPoovey

Used to you could buy just a new pulley/clutch assembly with a new bearing, but I haven't seen those parts listed separately for a long time now. Usually by the time those parts are worn out the compressor is work out or leaking anyway. You will also require some special tools to remove the clutch if you attempt to go that route.

I been up there. Dismal place. Really, that whole nw corner of Ohio is a dismal place. One memory I have from driving around in Lima one day was of a ****** old house in town that was painted up like a Richard Petty Race car. The WHOLE house. Trash everywhere in the yard, it was a dissaster. lol I'll never forget it. Went up there with a buddy one time to pick up a Boss Hoss motorcycle.

Yes, my mobile home is 4 years old, 3 bedroom 2 full bath, central air, it has wood trim and an open floor plan. This park is replacing the older ones as soon as people move out. My entire mobile home park is bloody quiet, as well! The entire Holland area is quite, tranquil, and shenanigan free. I used to live in Vegas, now that's a crap hole!

Laughing at this thread! GoGo PAM.

If you have the right tools, you can pull the clutch off and replace the bearings. Most of the bearings nowadays can be crossreferenced and replacements be found. Other suggestion would be replace compressor with a new one but that's not cost effective unless you have pump to pull a vacuum on the line and pull the refrigerant and recharge.

No to the right tools and no to the vacuum. Well, lets hope the a/c holds on my R50 this summer or I find someone local to assist who'll be motivated by my "show girls" stint. :lmao:

Most of the tools you can probably rent at the parts store or find a friend that will let you borrow it. I've never taken one apart but I can foresee using a blind hole pulley, some 3 jaw pulleys, punch, or press, or bench vise.

Thanks for the input, Cuong, I'll just hold off. My main drive is a R50 and it's got me on an expensive game of "guess where the bank 2 camshaft position is" I've already replaced 2 sensors, and the engine light returns. A 3rd sensor will just about total the cost of an a/c for my WD21