Oil light on warm starts

I don’t know why but I just do not remember it staying on that long.. can it really be that I’m having some sort of brain malfunction??

I haven’t caught it on video yet but sometimes it stays on about half a second longer than in these videos and with a few quick flashes at the end that fade in intensity with each flash.

All my internet searching has turned up similar situations to mine with answers that say it is normal. However I have watched my wife’s GX470 and it doesn’t stay on past the other lights which all go out together. Same with my friends Silverado, the oil light is on for a short fraction of a second past the other lights which go out after its started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ever changed your sending you unit? I cant remember if the sending unit attached to the oil filter housing is related to that light, but i figured its worth mentioning.

Our cars are getting pretty old, maybe that sending unit is showing signs of its age (Again, assuming that the oil light and the unit im mentioning even talk to each other).

I changed mine because it was leaking pretty bad.

How regular does the light stay on? You mentioned only when its warm? is every-time you start it warm, like clockwork or does it vary?

-Kyle

I have not changed it and come to think of it, maybe that’s what’s leaking in that area on mine because I do have a leak there.

I chalked it up to the oil filter housing... That’s really a bad place to have a leak because it might bypass the oil filters internal check valve and let the oil galleries drain!

I didn’t think about that at all and that could definitely cause the oil system to take longer pressurizing.

I’m going to check that out man thank you!

It does vary quite a bit. Today after a bunch of 1st gear trail riding and coolant temps in the high 190’s I shut the car off for a while and expected to see the longest oil light yet but instead I got this:

https://youtu.be/4-O3yCQTChk

I think maybe it did well because it was only like 15 minutes compared to 4 hours like in the other two videos.

I can’t seem to find an oil filter that makes it better. I’ve tried the premium carquest brand that is supposedly a rebranded WIX/Napa Gold and I’ve tried the premium Fram as well as the basic carquest and fram...

I will try taking the oil pressure sensor out and cleaning it up. Maybe it is partially blocked and taking longer to build pressure behind the blockage.

I want to play around with viscosities too but I’m weary about it with all the valvetrain noise I already have..

We shall see.. I plan to mess around with it this holiday weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe its because your RPMs have to be in a certain range on start up to make sure all the right parts are getting sufficient oil upon start up. I read somewhere that your RPMs need to be over a 1000rpm when starting. I noticed yours didn't go over a 1000rpms. Maybe its triggering the light just for that split sec when the engine isn't getting the right amount of oil. I can't remember where I read that but I remember reading it somewhere. And then again I could be wrong.

Mr Cox R50

Mine turns off almost instantly. never had it on that long but maybe its a sending unit issue like Ferrariowner123 said. i use 5-30 full synthetic oil and a $9 K&N filter from amazon. no problems other than the typical oil consumption of 3.5's

• Like 1