EATS OIL LIKE A SOB

HI Y'all,

I did not know this about the v6 3.5 liter egine in my 2002 pathy eats oil like its going out of style it about a quart every 1000 miles. Every where I read say this is a common problem is that true for you as well? Has any one found a fix for this I know lots of people say to change out the PCV valve but everyone say it did fix the problem any thoughts?

Are you sure it is eating it as in burning it, or just spilling it?

Common leak points on these engines are the valve cover gasket, the oil pan gasket, and the rear main seal.

Mine looses about a quart a month. I've redone the valve cover gaskets. I'm going to do the main seal when I have to do the clutch. I think the oil pan gasket is pretty hard to redo.

I don't see drips on the ground. I guess it drips out while moving.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Not leaking at all that I can see. I am 100% sure it is eating the oil. I have been told about those fixes and looked into them but everyone said it did not change how much oil it was eating tho. Did redoing the valve cover gasket help with it eating oil?

Ive had this engine in two vehicles now. My current 2003 R50, and previously a 2007 Quest that my wife bought new and drove for 10 years and 150k miles. Both engines used oil about the same rate at around 1 quart every 1500-2000 miles or so. No oil leaks in either engine. Its just something these engines are prone to, I learned to live with it and check the oil more often. Everything else about the truck is great.

My dad's '03 had the same consumption rate. New PCV valve didn't change anything. No signs of an external leak. Smoked like hell on hot starts, never any other time, still pulled like nothing was wrong. He couldn't find a wrecking yard motor with even compression so he sold it to a guy who had a wrecked one with a rebuilt motor and bought a Toyota.

This guy says the engines were built with too much taper in the bores. I've also heard of power valve screws falling in and potentially chewing stuff up. My dad and I suspected valve seal issues on his due to the hot start smoke but he got rid of it running rather than tearing into it.

mine leaks bad on the oil pan gasket. i would suggest adding an oil catch can on the pcv system just to see how much oil the engine spits out....lol

This oil loss only started for me about 3 years ago. Redoing the valve gaskets improved my consumption for a while. I do have evidence of leaks on the lower engine. Just never see it on ground.

I've never seen mine smoke. I'd be surprised if it could eat that much without burning up your cat and throwing the emissions code.

The power valve screws were only on automatics. Mine is a manual.

This oil loss only started for me about 3 years ago. Redoing the valve gaskets improved my consumption for a while. I do have evidence of leaks on the lower engine. Just never see it on ground.

I've never seen mine smoke. I'd be surprised if it could eat that much without burning up your cat and throwing the emissions code.

The power valve screws were only on automatics. Mine is a manual.

I can personally attest that these engines are perfectly happy eating a quart of oil on a regular basis with no other signs or symptoms. Honestly my truck gives me zero grief outside of needing to keep up on the oil more frequently. I realize not all VQs have the oil consumption issue, but for those that do thats often how it goes. No leaks, no smoking, no fouled cats, just magically disappearing oil!

Edited by Bax03SE
  • Like 1

Thank you all for the input. I guess I will just have to buy oil and gas. They should of made this a 2 cycle engine and we would of just used mixed gas haha

• Like 1

I can personally attest that these engines are perfectly happy eating a quart of oil on a regular basis with no other signs or symptoms. Honestly my truck gives me zero grief outside of needing to keep up on the oil more frequently. I realize not all VQs have the oil consumption issue, but for those that do thats often how it goes. No leaks, no smoking, no fouled cats, just magically disappearing oil!

they have reputation of bad ringlands perhaps?

they have reputation of bad ringlands perhaps?

Not in what I have read. Every where I have looked it eats about 1 quart per 1000miles. My mechanic and his whole shop said the same thing when I went in for my annual check up. They all said it just like the oil and they have never seem a cat or Emission fail because of it.

I was shocked at the consumption when we first bought ours too. We were likely around 1 quart every 1k miles give or take. I read dozens of posts and realized it had to be bad rings.

The following two updates helped reduce my consumption to ~1qt every 2500 miles.

• Replaced valve covers with new PCV
  • Switched from Mobil 1 to Mobil 1 High Mileage

I still add about 2 qts every 6k miles. There is not one drop on the ground and no visible signs now that the valve covers are cleaned up. We buy two 5qt Mobil 1 jugs at a time.

This engine is pretty good but loves to drink oil.