Moving To New Servers!

*Temporarily On Hold Due To Time Restrictions*

Members interested in helping test the new NPORA server platform, please contact RedPath88 via PM or email for further information.

Thank you,
-NPORA

Photo

1989 pathy vg33 swap

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Keeyinn89pathfinder

Keeyinn89pathfinder

NPORA Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Local time: 08:00 PM
  • Model:SE
  • Year:1989

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:38 PM

So I've ran into a small issue on my VG 33 swap! I've just about got it ready to drop in my 89 rebuild but I have come across a fskc up I never thought would happen, so the harmonic balancer from the vg30 does not fit the VG 33 and its a 96 motor which meaning the different belt system, should I just send my old harmonic to a machine shop or is there a new setup for the swap!? Any answers!?

#2 OFFLINE   snowboard419

snowboard419

NPORA Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Year:1991

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:05 PM

The way most of the guys go about doing the swap is transplanting the crank from the original engine into the vg33. There was a guy a while back making adapters but don't know of anyone currently making them.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme Pro using Tapatalk

#3 OFFLINE   Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts
  • Local time: 07:00 PM
  • Year:1993

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:55 PM

Some good info in here about different options. There was a one-year-only Canadian balancer that would bolt on but it sounds like they're very hard to find. I think some guys just run VG33 accessories with a serp rather than going to all that trouble for V-belts.

#4 OFFLINE   Keeyinn89pathfinder

Keeyinn89pathfinder

NPORA Newbie

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Year:1989

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:54 PM

So I just happen to have my original VG 30 heads and they are almost spotless for the use they've been through..(375k miles) My vg33 was in a rollover so oil came out the top end and the exaughst and it has 160k miles, should I swap the crank and heads from vg30 to the vg33? Should I swap the bearings as well? And will there be a timing issue?

#5 OFFLINE   Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts
  • Local time: 07:00 PM
  • Year:1993

Posted Today, 12:19 AM

What damage would oil have done to the VG33 heads?

IIRC someone on here used VG30 heads an a VG33 block because they thought it would be easier than swapping the VG30 cams into the VG30 heads. The passages aren't the same and I think they ended up doing some grinding to sorta fudge the difference. Not the way I'd go.

I haven't heard of any timing differences between the two motors, except that your '89 VG30 will have square-tooth sprockets and the VG33 will be round-tooth. Make sure all the sprockets (and the belt!) are the same style.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to NPORA Forums

Please REGISTER to gain full access to the forum.

Make sure you read the Forum Guidelines and don't forget to post a new intro in the New People Start Here! section, to say hi too everyone.

-NPORA