WD21 from Italy

Hi to everybody!
I own a 1989 WD21 Pathfinder (called Terrano here in Europe). It's a 2.4i 4WD with a factory LSD; has the little Z24i engine in it. Not many of these have survived here in Italy.

I've bought this car for cheap just because I needed a beater, but I like it so much that I've eventually decided to slowly restore it. A "rolling restoration project", I guess it's called. It's been neglected badly by the previuos owners, so needs a lot of care.

Until now I've did the following:
new seats upholstery (wasn't bad, but there was a rip on the driver seat)
new (used) driving wheel
new thermostat
new (used) driver side electric window regulator
new (used) rear differential - bought but sits in my garage waiting to be put on; the old one still works but is noisy and acts like an open diff
new clutch master cylinder. The old one let go and flooded the carpet with brake fluid. Had to took off the carpet and wash it with a pressure washer. Came out pretty clean. Also, restored the paint eaten by the bf on the floor pan, which did not show any rust, by the way. All the car is pretty rustless.
new exhaust (have to put it in yet)

The engine is a goner: very, very gutless since day one, developed a knock that I'm positive it comes from cyl. n.1 rod. checked the timing and found one of the chain tensioner broken and partially eaten away by the timing chain itself. Tre remains were stuck down between the block and the oil pan. Under the valve cover, plenty of sludge and ferrous debris. 135ish compression on all 4 cylinders due perhaps to worn rings and/or scored cylinders walls (didn't take it apart yet). Knocks like hell, won't go past 3000 rpm, yet, idles smooth and keeps going. I've got an used engine for cheap waiting to be swapped in, since, given the tons of iron shavings gone around in the engine for who knows how much time and the perhaps scored beyond repair crankshaft and rod, I didn't consider the rebuild of the old one as an option.

Meet me in the WD21 technical section! In the meanwhile, any advice will be greatly appreciated, I will need it!

Edited by Killermiller
  • Like 5

92SEPathFindr, yes, you are right... unfortunately, I didn't take many pictures of my Wd21 yet, and most of them are to take note about the flaws to be fixed :blush:

After one year of ownership, I didn't wash it, yet.

Anyway, here a couple of frames taken off a video I shot while having fun in the snow last winter. Many more will come (especially of the ongoing work) , I promise.

VuPJ3Gs.png

FTyfP2j.jpg

adamzan, I live in Campania, southern Italy, not far from Naples. Conegliano and Vittorio are in Veneto, north east. I've been in Veneto (Rovigo) last week to take my replacement Z24 engine. It's about 700kms far from my hometown.

Are you an Italian-Canadian?

I was born here as well as my cousins from my dad's sister but the rest live over there. Family immigrated in late 1950s.

Edited by adamzan