Moving To New Servers!

*Temporarily On Hold Due To Time Restrictions*

Members interested in helping test the new NPORA server platform, please contact RedPath88 via PM or email for further information.

Thank you,
-NPORA

Photo

What's this thing?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jjonez

jjonez

NPORA Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Local time: 07:01 PM
  • Model:SE
  • Year:2002

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:27 PM

IMG_20180512_185008626.jpg

It's crumbling away on the bottom and leaking some kind of fluid.

Today after I changed my oil and was driving home the truck started to stumble and was wanting to die.  Of course I was freaked out cuz I thought I had screwed something up during the change. After I shut it off it took a long extended crank to get it start again.  For the most part it still runs and drives fine, except now it idles slightly higher (1000 now vs 750 before) and if I quickly blip the throttle from idle it'll stumble and almost die before picking itself back up. If I ease onto the throttle it revs like normal.  Sometimes when I would get deep on the throttle while driving the same kind of stumbling would occur.  Could the leaky thing in the picture be the culprit?  There's a vacuum line coming off it going to somewhere on the intake so I figured it's a good place to start.  I'll admit I'm kind of embarrassed I have no idea what it is haha.  Thanks for your input! 

IMG_20180512_185053923.jpg

#2 OFFLINE   jjonez

jjonez

NPORA Regular

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:39 PM

More food for thought.  The thing is also connected indirectly with a Y to what I just learned is the anti-backfire valve.  While I was driving home it backfired a couple more times and louder than usual, and the smell of gas was pretty pronounced after I parked and was idling.

#3 OFFLINE   Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts
  • Year:1993

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:06 PM

The '89 manual shows that as an "A.I.V. Box (For Hot A.I.V.)." It connects to the exhaust system and to manifold vacuum, so if it's rusted through at the bottom, it could be allowing unmetered air into the intake manifold (raising the idle and screwing up your fuel mixture).

The anti-backfire valve is supposed to dump air into the intake when there's too much vacuum (apparently the suction on deceleration pulls too much fuel through the injectors and makes the engine run pig rich and backfire otherwise). Looks like if you take the air filter out, there's a small pipe to the driver's front of the throttle body, coming up through the bottom plate of the air cleaner. Cover the end with your finger, rev to 3k, then let the throttle snap shut and you should feel a little suction from that port. If you feel suction, the valve is working.

If the AIV and AB share a vacuum feed, and the AIV is leaking air into that feed, the AB valve wouldn't see full manifold vacuum and so wouldn't do its job.

Edited by Slartibartfast, 14 May 2018 - 05:07 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   jjonez

jjonez

NPORA Regular

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:53 PM

Thank you! Googling the part found this thread from a few years ago:

http://www.nissanpat...tion-valve-aiv/

Same rust underneath, but no one mentioned any performance issues from it. I hope this is all it is. It's an expensive part, and probably will be hard to find in a JY. Any idea what the fluid leaking out could be? *Edit* from another thread I found I guess it's just water, maybe condensation build up or something. Explains the rust (duh).

Lucky me it passed smog a week before this started happening. But it was such a sudden onset, the engine was running completely fine up until saturday

Edited by jjonez, 14 May 2018 - 05:58 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   Citron

Citron

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Local time: 06:01 PM
  • Year:1992

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:22 PM

So glad I don't need to pass emissions test here.

#6 OFFLINE   August59

August59

NPORA Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Local time: 10:01 PM

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:04 PM

It is the A.I.V system. There's a reed valve and an air filter inside. These filters tend to be out of sight and out of mind so they're not changed routinely as they should. They can become clogged (probably mostly from just rotting over time). I would imagine at some point they may cause some problems. I can could send you the pages from the FSM, but you may have to PM me and send me a email as I don't think we can "paste" them on the forum.

#7 OFFLINE   Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts
  • Year:1993

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:35 PM

Yeah, getting an early EFI past smog does not sound like fun.

If it's just the can that's rotten, and the moving parts are still alright, I'd just pull the can out, clean up the worst of the rot, and then patch the hole with something. You could weld/braze/solder, but I'd be concerned about messing up the rest of the assembly (unless that cover comes off easily). I'll bet you could get away with covering a small hole with epoxy putty, JB weld, Bondo, something like that. Cut a piece of a can if you need to cover a big hole.

I hadn't seen the filter in there! Definitely give that a good clean (or a new one if it's available) while it's open.

#8 OFFLINE   Citron

Citron

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Local time: 06:01 PM
  • Year:1992

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:28 PM

Fiberglass the hole.

#9 OFFLINE   jjonez

jjonez

NPORA Regular

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I'll start by cleaning up the hole/filter and patching it.  Maybe try carbon fiber epoxy since it's handy at work.  Unfortunately I won't be able to address it until next weekend but I'll be sure to update when I do.

I'm fortunate, the pathy passed well above the margins without me having to fix anything.  Hopefully that continues in the future.

August59, if the simple patch doesn't work out I might hit you up for those fsm pages.  Thanks!

#10 OFFLINE   adamzan

adamzan

Hi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,755 posts
  • Local time: 10:01 PM
  • Year:1994

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:11 AM

As long as the cat/egr are working, these trucks breeze through emissions tests. At least both of mine do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to NPORA Forums

Please REGISTER to gain full access to the forum.

Make sure you read the Forum Guidelines and don't forget to post a new intro in the New People Start Here! section, to say hi too everyone.

-NPORA