bad tach

My tach is fried and jumps all over the place. Is there any fuse or something I can remove just to completely disable it? It becomes very annoying and I don't want to spend the money to have it replaced. I heard these go bad quite often

Just re-solder the connections on the back of the tacho assembly itself. There is four main and obvious connections that you resolder after you remove the assembly from the main cluster.

-Kyle

Sounds like you know about this stuff.. like his tach, my odometer is on the fritz and rarely shows mileage. Most of the time it’s random numbers and partial digits jumping all over the place. Is there a known connection issue I missed while I had the cluster out? Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My speedometer done the same thing on my 96 SE. Sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldn't. When it was working the mileage would work to all I did to fix it was pull the cluster out cleaned and tightened the ground screws on the back of the speedometer and now it works perfect.

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

Sounds like you know about this stuff.. like his tach, my odometer is on the fritz and rarely shows mileage. Most of the time it’s random numbers and partial digits jumping all over the place. Is there a known connection issue I missed while I had the cluster out? Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks

Unfortunately i don't know much of anything about the digital ones. My 96 was the analog type. That being said, i would still pop the cluster out and investigate Just be gentle, you don't have to be like art dealer gentle, just be mindful that there are some delicate piece in there.

Take the tachometer and odometer assembly out from the cluster housing and look around for some messed up solder points, should be crusty, black or not there at all.

Other than that, i cant offer much specific knowledge about the digital clusters. sorry

-Kyle

• Like 1

Unfortunately i don't know much of anything about the digital ones. My 96 was the analog type. That being said, i would still pop the cluster out and investigate Just be gentle, you don't have to be like art dealer gentle, just be mindful that there are some delicate piece in there.

Take the tachometer and odometer assembly out from the cluster housing and look around for some messed up solder points, should be crusty, black or not there at all.

Other than that, i cant offer much specific knowledge about the digital clusters. sorry

-Kyle

Thank you

• Like 1

Thank You Farrariowner, Cleaned the contacts and tightened all the screws and it now works great. I had been putting up with that crappy tach for years.

• Like 3