Springs or Spacers

I can't really see a difference but I went with the spacers since they are available in 1 and 2 inch stacks AND I don't have to cut the pigtail offfff of a Cherokee spring. Both were a bonus for me since I have no space for a pair of old rusty springs in my apartment and my cheap grinder died a horrible death while doing a welding job on the frame of the Pathfinder.

Other than that, Cherokee springs are cheaper in parts IF you have the tools already; otherwise the cost of a set of springs PLUS the cost of a grinder are the more than the cost of a pair of spacers. Either way you'll need a set of spring compressors and some _really really_ tall jackstands. The 32" set we had were _just_ tall enough to be able to getter done!

• Like 1

I dont think you will see much of a difference, I do not know the springrate difference but that may be it besides the height. The jeep could end up stiffer or softer.

I have rear springs from calmini, This gave me about 3 inches of lift in the rear. ( I have their full suspension lift front and rear) As you raise your rear end up you will need to make the same correction in the trackbar I beleive. Calmini sells a spacer for that as well.

https://www.calmini.com/detail.php?b=1&m=3&t=2&p=624&n=

I always carry a bunch of weight in the back. A full load of tools, parts, and whatever I am camping with, a long with a rear bumper/tire carrier. I have about 300-500 in the back and on my roof rack at all times. I have some In-coil airbags. I love them!! Helps me level out my pathy when it is loaded, and increases the spring rate enough for off roading a pathfinder when it is loaded with gear or people. Mine had always been soft in the back when I was heavy, I was constantly rubbing my tires. I installed the airbags, they can be aired from 5-35 psi. They are great! When I am off roading/ commuting with normal load and two people I run about 10 psi. If I want maximum flex I go down to 5. When I am heavy, towing, or want to stiffen it up for just highway use, I run it up to about 30-35. It really stiffens up the pathfinder!! I love the, I have had the same bags for about 4 years. Never got a hole or leak. They install super easily. I believe I may have bought a taller bag then the one I am linking, because I installed the taller springs. I am linking the bag for a stock pathfinder, which you would use if you use the spacers.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6961&gclid=Cj0KCQjw28_XBRDhARIsAEk21FgtvZMqPcQHwxrPw5FanQTvVFXkGm_LuEffGSzafWlNmsvhYHFqlN8aAg-kEALw_wcB

Thanks dude. Does anybody make different trailing arm drop down brackets? I've looked and looked and can't seem to find any. I may go with the springs, won't sag and cheaper in the long run.

Do you mean the track bar? Calmini has one listed on their site. Just navigate around from the link I left you above.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hang on a second I'm getting confused. I've hear references to a pan hard rod as a track bar. Just so we are clear, we are talking about the two track bars that are connected to the axle?

There are five suspension links attached to the rear axle. Two upper links and two lower links (in front of the axle) keep the axle from moving fore/aft or wrapping, and the panhard rod or track bar (behind the axle) prevents it from walking out sideways. The panhard rod should be pretty much level with the axle. When you lift the truck, it goes off-angle and pulls the axle to one side. Dropping the panhard bracket puts the axle back where it's supposed to be.

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

Ah, I see what you're after now. I don't think I've seen anyone drop the lower links. Some people build custom adjustable-length links to push the axle back a little after the lift, but I don't think that's required for the 2-3" Jeep spring lift.

the only product I know of to almost do what your doing are these adjustable rear end links

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-pathfinder-c-38.html/nissan-pathfinder-19851995-wd21-pathfinder-c-38_1321.html/19851995-wd21-pathfinder-suspension-components-c-38_1321_593.html

Not cheap though. I have the stock links, most people with a 3 inch suspension lift do not mess with the links. I have never had any issues, It didn't move the rear end any noticeable amount.

Holy balls. As a 17 year old senior in high school, I think I'll keep the stock ones P... I am going to beldine this sucker though and completely black it out. Her new name is Cash if you get the reference

Meh, if you have a fairly priced wrecking yard nearby then JCG springs are cheap and you can get a right angle grinder and cut off wheel for under $20 from Harbor Freight if you don't already have one. Cutting the pigtail off is easy enough and I don't even notice the slightly increased spring rate anymore.

And not having spacers means that it's one less thing at risk of falling out or "slipping" at full articulation.

• Like 2

I'd would say that the chance of anything "slipping" is minuscule at best... speaking direct to the spacers anyway. I still had my compressors on after I installed the spacers and Joey and I were pulling down on the axle just to get the springs back in. The only time something should "slip" is if the shaft of the shock rips off either the upper retainer nut-spacer-washer from the body or the piston-shims-nut off of the shaft itself.... both are extremely unlikely occurrences. That's just my experience with Fleurys spacers, nice machining by the way Steve! If you've never seen one they have a 16-19mm step on the inside to nest one in another and retain the spring in place on the seat. That is not going anywhere without something else breaking first!