Max Horsepower Rating Stock Engine Internals

Just wanted to ask up to what horsepower are the stock internals are rated for? I've heard of some nuts being able to get z31s up to 600hp on stock internals. I don't know about reliably though. While on the topic, how different are the pathfinder engines in comparison to z31s? Head difference, timing, etc. Any and all details appreciated.

I was under the impression that the long blocks were identical between the Z31 and the WD21, the intake, and all other accessories were quite different but some people have gotten some serious horsepower out of these engines at the cost of reliability.

for one:

but that engine gets rebuilt or blown up often.

for two :

Both of these guys are running some serious boost into their turbos so you know that's hard on a car's internals. So no... they are not going to last a long time at that kind of output. If you want power you _have_ to sacrifice reliability OR money (mostly both).

That's my two cents worth so take that for an internet opinion but I have a fairly fresh motor _when_ you need one.... it's not cheap though... and shipping isn't free! LOL!!

I have a bone stock 95 wd21 with a turbo running on 12 lbs of boost. With proper fueling and ignition control you can get quite a bit out of these reliably. Pistons are the first thing to go but the rest of the long block can handle north of 500. I don't. Have any Dyno numbers but I'm guessing mine is in the 225-250 hp range and it makes these things a blast to drive.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Like I know that I obviously would sacrifice how long of a life i could get out of my pathy, but I've always been curious as to what would be the minimum requirements for a somewhat reliable/boosted daily pathfinder. I have confidence in the block but was never sure about much else. IF i wanted to turbo my pathy using the 300zx manifolds, turbo, and injectors...

That being said.... I would think you could get close to 300 at the wheels in a daily driver with the long block ( as mentioned above) but it won't even think about operating in the cold without a really good ECU tune from a standalone system or a Jim Wolf setup. Pistons could be custom machined (yes verrry sexy.. mmmmm... machined pis.. oops.... sorry about that. My mind started wandering.) that will get you back some lengthy driving time at a cost.

Minimum requirements must be: Premium fuel, Jim Wolf ECU tune / standalone, fuel pump, injector set, hoses, clamps, money.... think that'll get you a reliable boosted WD21!

I wouldn't plan on doing anything TOO crazy but maybe something closer to the 300zx tune or just switch the computer entirely if i ever feel like it. Would it be cheaper and easier to just change the injectors and pulleys to the ones from the vg33e and supercharge it? I honestly would just love a good throttle response and pep from a daily driver. Not looking for insane horsepower, looking to have those couple seconds of bliss when pulling onto the freeway ramp.

You mean you want to trade the nail biting please don't run me over for some bliss? Haha.

I have a supercharged Xterra as my DD and I would love to have the same engine in the pathfinder. It would be perfect.

My truck running on 8 to 10 psi definitely gets her up on the freeway without issue. And in second gear with damp roads it will break the tires free on hard accel. A tuned ecu or standalone ecu, fuel pump, injectors, like said above are absolutely necessary. The cat that built this put a megasquirt ecu in the factory ecu case and uses the factory wiring harness. The standalone is nice because you can make changes to the tune yourself without having to ship something off to Jim wolf and it's cheaper.

My truck running on 8 to 10 psi definitely gets her up on the freeway without issue. And in second gear with damp roads it will break the tires free on hard accel. A tuned ecu or standalone ecu, fuel pump, injectors, like said above are absolutely necessary. The cat that built this put a megasquirt ecu in the factory ecu case and uses the factory wiring harness. The standalone is nice because you can make changes to the tune yourself without having to ship something off to Jim wolf and it's cheaper.

I am looking into boosting my pathfinder, It is my last step in upgrades for it. Do you happen to have any more info on your build? I would love some pictures of your turbo routing.

Do you know any part numbers or info on his megasquirt set up?

Do you still have the stock intake manifold, throttle body, and MAF unit?

Any idea on if he is using stock injectors or went up to something bigger and what they are?

I have a VG33 running on the VG30 ECU, I put in Euro VG30 cams, did some head work, and rebuilt the rest of the engine stock, stock intake and full upgraded exhaust with headers.

I am looking to dive into doing this because I need to replace my injectors as they have 380,000 miles on them and show there age with some missfires and a bit leaky. They are pretty much the only old part on the truck. I am ready to spend the money and go the full mile to do the turbo and ECU, but I am having a hard time finding much info on a successful build and what parts to start with. I have the abilitys to do the work and fab, and the ECU I will be learning on with help from a buddy.

I really appreciate your time answering my questions. Any and all help would be great!!!

The injectors are larger than the stock ones, out of a mid 90' s Subaru I believe. Not 100 percent certain but most definitely larger than stock. The intake manifold and throttle body are stock. The MAF is not used on this setup, instead the MS1 megasquirt computer has a built-in MAP sensor. The turbo is a cheap eBay t04e. I'll try and grab some photos tomorrow to show the exhaust routing. Also search for the build thread by "2milehigh" here on npora alot more of the step by step. Feel free to pm me if you have any particular questions.

Oh awesome thanks a lot! I am glad to hear there is a build thread. I would really appreciate some pictures if you have the time. I will PM you my email so it makes sending them easier if that helps, otherwise you can post them here.