87 VG30i Throttle Body rebuild?

August59

I'm going through cleaning all connectors and sensors plus changing vacuum lines, coolant (including the ones on the throttle body) and fuel lines (under the hood). I have throttle body off of the intake and I was just going to clean it good and new gaskets at the intake. Throttle body hasn't ever been broken down and cleaned, but judging by all the black junk that rinsed out of old coolant lines and heavy carbon build up in the port on the bottom below MAF I'm considering buying a rebuild kit ($40 which is cheaper than the 2 intake gaskets from dealer) and tear it down and clean it good.

The rebuild kit comes with all the gaskets plus solenoid o-rings and even a punch to remove the injectors, but this is where I'm pondering just leaving the injectors alone or removing them and replacing o-rings/seals plus cleaning them.

Keep in mind that the Path wasn't running well before I started down this road and what I believe lead to the poor performance was a coolant line (I hope there is only one???) under the intake had started leaking and it ran hot, but I shut it down almost immediately and I was close to home. However, the coolant soaked the right side of engine including the throttle body (ex: TPS terminals and connector had a lot of corrosion build up when I checked them, so I'm guessing the coolant was able to get i there at some point) and the Path ran fine for a few weeks, but went into a steady decline and it's been parked for awhile.

Should I break this TB down and clean it good including replacing seals/o-rings for injectors?

Anyone had a bad experience with these rebuild kits? I'm looking at the one from "Rock Auto" https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=46927&cc=1211768&jsn=377

Thanks ahead for any feedback.

I haven't messed with a TBI, but cleaning the throttle body on my '95 did seem to bring some power back. I'd be inclined to clean what you can get to for now, make sure the MAF is clean, deal with the corrosion issue, then put it back together and see if it's happy like that or if it needs more attention. I don't imagine the TBI is too difficult to remove if you decide to give it a full rebuild down the line.

I have the Throttle Body off, but wasn't quite sure what to expect if I pulled the upper half apart from the bottom half? I know caution has to be taken removing the injectors and the need for the correct tool, but that tool is supplied in the rebuild kit.

Just hope parts don't start falling out that I can't figure out where they go?!?!

Thanks

Just hope parts don't start falling out that I can't figure out where they go?!?!

That's my standard operating procedure. :lol:

Seriously though I've never had a TBI apart so I don't know if there's anything spring-loaded waiting to ambush you. If you're nervous about it all going back together again, clean what you can get to for now, put it back on, and see if the other work you did was enough to solve your problem.

I found one picture of the TB apart and it appears that there,isn't a lot going on parts/piece wise in it. Since it's fuel injection it looks like the TB is not much more than a vessel :blush: to hold the injectors in the right place and something to attach all the sensors/solenoids to. Biggest thing seems to making sure not to damage the injectors when removing. Since the right tool is supplied with the rebuild kit that should be problem.

We're going to give it a shot. And I'll guess I'll go ahead and pull the plenum and replace the coolant hoses under it and clean the EGR and tube out. My fear there is removing EGR and the pipe attached to the EGR since it appears to have a thick covering of rust :angry:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...