Moving To New Servers!

*Temporarily On Hold Due To Time Restrictions*

Members interested in helping test the new NPORA server platform, please contact RedPath88 via PM or email for further information.

Thank you,
-NPORA

Photo

87 VG30i EGR valve

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   August59

August59

NPORA Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Local time: 12:42 PM
  • Model:SE

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:17 AM

The pipe from the throttle body to the EGR has some carbon, but it's not close to being "clogged". With the throttle body off can the EGR  be cleaned or would it be better to leave it alone as long as it's operating fine?

#2 OFFLINE   deerhurst

deerhurst

NPORA Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Local time: 09:42 AM
  • Year:1987

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:04 AM

Are you just pulling the throttle body or the entire plenum? If you want to clean it out properly youll want to pull both. There is a port it all gets clogged in in the throttle body and the tube it goes through into the plenum makes a hazard of dropping all that crap into the plenum and having it sucked in. Mine was so clogged I had to stick a wooden dowel in there and beat it out with a hammer. Then block it off.

#3 OFFLINE   August59

August59

NPORA Newbie

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:35 AM

Not planning on pulling plenum, if I can possibly help it. The EGR tube from TB to EGR is what 3/8" (?) dia. and it has a carbon ring about 1/8" thick around the tube or it's approx. 2/3 open. I would like to clean it out, but I'm pushing my luck.

If I do pull the plenum how hard is it to remove the EGR and the pipe. They're both rusted on with thick layer!

I can see pulling the plenum to be the best way to clean it. Knuckleheads at Nissan weren't thinking when designed that setup!

Edited by August59, 14 April 2018 - 10:38 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   deerhurst

deerhurst

NPORA Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Local time: 09:42 AM
  • Year:1987

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:10 AM

The tube is somewhere between 3/8 and half inch if I remember right.

Do you do emissions testing? If not pull the plenum and clean all that crap out of the throttle body and plenum then just remove the EGR system, had to hack saw mine off, (the ECM doesnt care. You can just unplug it) and make a quick blockoff plate. I havnt run an EGR in years. Did a blockoff plate when I did my VG33.

#5 OFFLINE   August59

August59

NPORA Newbie

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:47 AM

The tube is somewhere between 3/8 and half inch if I remember right.

Do you do emissions testing? If not pull the plenum and clean all that crap out of the throttle body and plenum then just remove the EGR system, had to hack saw mine off, (the ECM doesnt care. You can just unplug it) and make a quick blockoff plate. I havnt run an EGR in years. Did a blockoff plate when I did my VG33.

Been thinking about that since we don't have emissions. I would have to cap where the lower end of the pipe connected? And, the vacuum port on the solenoid?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to NPORA Forums

Please REGISTER to gain full access to the forum.

Make sure you read the Forum Guidelines and don't forget to post a new intro in the New People Start Here! section, to say hi too everyone.

-NPORA