Having troubles with electric windows, switch? 1992 SE Pathy

92SEPathFindr

This started with the main door lock switch not responding. Without looking it up here on NPORA, I removed the switch cover which had cracked and become loose on the switch shaft. So I removed it and found I could operate the door locks by moving the shaft. This was fine and functional. Recently, my drivers side front window stopped responding and fortunately it was in the up position. The shaft has a lock or something and it doesn't move freely on and off like the door lock switch does. The front passenger works fine up and down from the driver's switch and from that door's switch. The rear passenger window works fine from both switches but gets slow about halfway up. The rear driver window just stopped working completely from either switch. It was intermittently functional in the last few weeks but now doesn't respond to either the front or the back switch. I was able to get it closed completely and now that's where it sits. The driver's side windows front and rear are up and closed and stuck in that position. Drive thru dining is out or really awkward to say the least. I really like things to be operable on my vehicle but I'm leaving things as they are until I get some advice here from you guys. I would not be opposed to putting in toggle switches to replace the factory driver's side door panel switches as my main need is functioning windows. As well, I would replace every window motor or one at a time if needed, if it's doable with out special tools, or maybe I need to buy a tool. I would like them to all work well and go at the same speed, etc. I don't own a Factory Manual for the vehicle yet. All advice and experience is very much appreciated, thanks! :D

RE1O5tk.jpg

Edited by 92SEPathFindr

I'd pick up a driver's window switch panel from the wreckers or a part-out, see what that fixes, and go from there. There's a wiring diagram for the power windows in the BF section of the service manual, which you can get here. Download the '94 or '95, what they have listed as a '92 manual seems to be some kind of dealer info pamphlet and the '93 is an odd collection of third-party stuff and TSBs, many of which are labelled in what Google Translate tells me is Latvian.

Silicone spray in the window tracks is supposed to help a lot. I didn't notice a big change on mine, probably because the windows weren't hanging up to begin with.

I haven't had to do much with my windows but the one thing I will say, which I learned the hard way, is that brake cleaner is not good for cleaning the plastic switch panels. It took a fairly awful accumulation of the PO's cigarette schmoo to make me consider this, and went about as well as you'd expect. :lol:

• Like 1

I'd pick up a driver's window switch panel from the wreckers or a part-out, see what that fixes, and go from there. There's a wiring diagram for the power windows in the BF section of the service manual, which you can get here. Download the '94 or '95, what they have listed as a '92 manual seems to be some kind of dealer info pamphlet and the '93 is an odd collection of third-party stuff and TSBs, many of which are labelled in what Google Translate tells me is Latvian.

Silicone spray in the window tracks is supposed to help a lot. I didn't notice a big change on mine, probably because the windows weren't hanging up to begin with.

I haven't had to do much with my windows but the one thing I will say, which I learned the hard way, is that brake cleaner is not good for cleaning the plastic switch panels. It took a fairly awful accumulation of the PO's cigarette schmoo to make me consider this, and went about as well as you'd expect. :lol:

Thanks my friend for your help and advice. I'll look into getting a replacement switch, the online manual, and update with what I learn and try. If the switch unit does fix this, I will be relieved. Thanks again! :)

Do you have any suspicion that this might be a fuse for both the driver's side windows? Thanks

Nope. Looks like each window motor has its own circuit breaker, and the whole system shares a fuse link, but there doesn't seem to be one fuse that would take out two windows at once.

Very good thanks a lot! I ordered a replacement switch plate from an eBay wrecker yard. I'll report back if this does or does not resolves the problem. Boy, I'm hopeful that it works!! Thanks again, Aaron :friday:

Here's the update: thanks to Slartibartfast, I just ordered a decent looking replacement switch from a wrecker on eBay and swapped it out for my broken switch and all my windows are working again!! :lmao: Thanks for the help NPORA and Slartibartfast! B)

• Like 1