VG34ER

MY1PATH

Today I broke all the casting flash out of the coolant passage in the valley. There were some large pieces obstructing the flow directly from the water pump.
I also smoothed and blended out the water pump outlet. Getting rid of all casting seams and texture 2" deep to improve flow directly out of the water pump.
Aside from removing casting flash, the rest stays untouched because the rough texture improves thermal efficiency.
30020172_1939687206104526_97312321_n.jpg

30020049_1939687222771191_679173328_n.jp

• Like 1

Ever since photobucket decided to poop on thousands of forums worldwide I've not settled on a good image hosting. Looks like it failed above.
Anway, waiting on paint... Primer was a week wait and then Friday I got a notice that shipping itself is delayed another week.

Ever since photobucket decided to poop on thousands of forums worldwide I've not settled on a good image hosting. Looks like it failed above.

Anway, waiting on paint... Primer was a week wait and then Friday I got a notice that shipping itself is delayed another week.

I am a HUGE fan of postimage.org. There's others that people use, but I'm not sure how (like Flickr and Imgur) that have been around forever and will likely be stable for a long time.

That super sucks on the delays, now watch...as soon as you get it you won't have a chance to get the work done for two months. Always goes that way.

Paint showed up, hope to spray the whole block this weekend and install shiny brass freeze plugs...

30724875_1953751871364726_25155039337119

Edited by MY1PATH
  • Like 2

Oh yes, it's resemblant of the original L Series Datsun engines!
Actually I picked this color on a build long before I even knew that about the Datsun L Series colors and all my builds have been this color since.
But sadly it has been discontinued and I own the last 6 cans.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Pistons are in! That strange color is a Thermal Barrier Coating to reduce dome temperatures under boost, the pistons also have anti friction coated skirts.
33312922_1999333056806607_25184316625938

• Like 2

Yeah so that bolt on the oil baffle was sticking up too much for the beefy Twin Turbo Rods to clear so I had to make some more room...

33308744_2000639666675946_69683804268134
Removing the lock washer was probably enough but I also shaved down the ridge on the head for a little extra clearance.

Edited by MY1PATH

Good thing you found that out before putting it back together!

LOL I was pissed that all the rods were torqued down when I found it. I worked a little magic cleaning up excess oil around the screw with a rag taped to an extension and then a long wobble extension, a magnet and a scribe to get the two offending screws out and back in (inboard screw on front plate and rear plate)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The stock vg33er runs the water pump on the same belt as the steering pump. If you belt fails on the highway you will not notice a change in steering effort and if you are distracted you may not notice the temp needle rapidly climbing...
This setup puts the water pump on the same belt as the alty instead of sharing it with the steering pump.
The benefit is that if your water pump belt breaks your whole dash lights up because your alty stops too.
Pulley%20Fab.jpgPainted%20and%20test%20fit.jpg

I cut up a pulley from a 97 q45 to press and weld into the vg33er pulley to get the correct offset I needed.

Edited by MY1PATH
  • Like 1

I know, I know this engine is taking me a decade. I have built and swapped a few other engines and still haven't finished this one. I just keeps getting pushed aside :(

More detail on what was done to the heads before coating.
All the casting seams were removed, intake was left with a rough finish but exhaust had a minor polish done.
There was a ridge around the valve seats that was carved away with a very sharp chisel  (by hand, no hammer)
seat step.jpg seats unshroouded.jpg
The chamber wall near the intake valve was carved back a little with an 80-grit flap wheel for better chamber filling and then the whole chamber was lightly polished.

chambers smoothed.jpg
The valves had their faces sanded smooth.

valve smoothing.jpg
before/after
int valve smoothing.jpg

Edited by MY1PATH

I found a workaround, we'll see how long it lasts...
... err this just popped up

Because you are over the 250 image free limit, you must now remove 1105 images. If you prefer, you can upgrade to our lowest tier plan to continue using Photobucket without having to remove images.

1105 of those images have been on there for 10+ years

• 1 month later...

This is still in progress. I will not let it leave my garage so it cannot get pushed aside for another decade...

Small things, nothing worth documenting and One big thing! 
Nistune is coming to Pathfinder ECU's!!!
Some of you may remember that I've been playing with Nistune on M30 ECU when I converted my 89 to fuel injection. In the coming month I should be playing with Nistune on a 1993 Pathfinder ECU. More to come in a separate thread when it does!

• Like 2