Removed my only two doors.. and I love it.

Backpacker

Pulled the doors off my 89' a few days ago.

Everything I read said it would be easiest to un-bolt the hinges because the pins tend to seize from age. Luckily my 29 year old truck has no rust at all! Only took me about 30 minutes to get them off plus an additional 15 minutes to cut the passenger wires and waterproof them for the time being. The pins came right out. I supported the door with a strap through the moonroof making it pretty easy to disconnect the driver side wires from under the dash via factory connectors. Couldn't find there the plugs are for the passenger side. Now I just gotta splice some connectors onto each, I was thinking of mounting them almost flush to the door for easy access. I daily mine delivering food for work, and its so much nicer and fun with the doors off driving the stick.d5a090fd04fa9d010215ab723c5fd248.jpg

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Guess you don't have to worry about wet seats in Arizona!

Hmmm... For now at least! I was sure it would rain the second I had them off, how it usually goes. Both my handles busted for the second time so had to keep my windows down all the time anyways, and my moonroof shattered a few weeks go and haven't looked for a replacement yet. I'm gonna look into waterproof seat covers for when the rain comes, and when my tax return comes in, I plan on bed lining both interior and exterior as the first step to waterproofing everything.

I feel bad for her, the trucks been abused pretty hard cosmetically since I've owned it, but I make sure to keep all the important parts that make it go in decent shape.

So no stereo now then? I want to do this on my own this summer but I'm not willing to sacrifice my speakers for no doors lol. I want to do kick-panel speakers, but the cost... :/

I still have the rear speakers and I haven't had much of a problem with volume levels. With it equalized more on the mid/high range, I can still hear fine doing 75mph on the highway. I plan on re-mounting the speakers at some point, or maybe going with some smaller high quality ones to try and fit them up near the A-pillar or something cause I don't think the stock size will really fit anywhere. Maybe mount them to the ceiling in a spot that no one will hit their head on them. I'm fixing my subwoofer this week so hopefully that will make the quality much better with just the two rear speakers for now.

Edited by Backpacker
  • Like 1

Couple things....

1. Unlike Jeeps, Pathfinders were designed to have their doors on.. they are part of the structure. Without them (or suitable and properly built tube replacements) you run a higher risk of serious injury in an accident.
  2. Your ECM is on the floor under the passenger side front seat, if you get a freak rain storm, it could be compromised.

Couple things....

1. Unlike Jeeps, Pathfinders were designed to have their doors on.. they are part of the structure. Without them (or suitable and properly built tube replacements) you run a higher risk of serious injury in an accident.
  2. Your ECM is on the floor under the passenger side front seat, if you get a freak rain storm, it could be compromised.

Doors on Jeeps are a part of their structure too bud. But yea I'll second the ECM thing

Doors on Jeeps are a part of their structure too bud. But yea I'll second the ECM thing

Pathfinders doors were not designed to be removed in any case but service or repair situations, nor do they have roll bars/cages from the factory.... bud :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Pathfinders doors were not designed to be removed in any case but service or repair situations, nor do they have roll bars/cages from the factory.... bud :rolleyes:

Neither were Cherokee doors. Wranglers are a joke for college boys imo. I'm working on tube doors right now and they aint too difficult to build. :lmao:

Edited by Wacky_Pathy
  • Like 1

I never said nor implied that they were.... and you just validated my point.

If I had been referring to a Cherokee I would have mentioned that. A generic reference to a Jeep in an off road discussion is not about a Cherokee. Also, a little applied (un)common sense... and given that I referenced a design intent to run without doors, eliminates Cherokee's from the possible Jeep models I was targeting with that example.

But anyway, the intent of my original post was simply to bring up safety concerns to the original poster, not to open the door up for and get the :jacked:

:itsallgood: moving on now...

I was under the impression that only applies to a uni-body structure, like a Cherokee or second gen Pathfinder. Doesn't the Pathfinder and Hardbody Pickup share the same frame? If they do, wouldn't the truck variant be more susceptible because it has a much smaller cab?

Or did I completely misinterpret what you said, and your only talking about the safety in the event of a roll-over? That makes complete sense.

As for the ECM, I'm aware of that. Its getting relocated in a couple days.

While we are on the topic of safety, could you recommend good aftermarket door handles, preferably metal, so I can put the doors back on? I removed the doors because the inside handle felt like it was on its way out, and i didn't want to deal with getting the door open with both handles busted.

Thanks for the input though!

Couple things....

• Like 1

The bodies on these things are hell for stout, but anything will bend if hit hard enough from the right direction. Having some sheet metal and a steel bar tying the pillars together in the event of a crash strikes me as a good thing.

Honestly though I'd be more worried about getting ejected from the truck in a rollover, or being unexpectedly joined in the cab by part of someone else's car. Or, you know, bees.

I haven't had any issues with my inside door handles, but yeah, the plastic outer handles are weak. I bought a cheap set of chrome handles off eBay (I think they were listed for a D21) and I've been using those for years with no issues apart from a little surface pitting.

• Like 1

I never said nor implied that they were.... and you just validated my point.

If I had been referring to a Cherokee I would have mentioned that. A generic reference to a Jeep in an off road discussion is not about a Cherokee. Also, a little applied (un)common sense... and given that I referenced a design intent to run without doors, eliminates Cherokee's from the possible Jeep models I was targeting with that example.

But anyway, the intent of my original post was simply to bring up safety concerns to the original poster, not to open the door up for and get the :jacked:

:itsallgood: moving on now...

Wouldn't a generic reference be any Jeep model though? If you are comparing a Pathfinder to a Wrangler, those are way different. And most people that I wheel with have Cherokee XJ's so I was confused. I didn't know there was supposed to be a specific model when it is generically referenced. Have a good one man.

I haven't had any issues with my inside door handles, but yeah, the plastic outer handles are weak. I bought a cheap set of chrome handles off eBay

My handles have been busted for about 6 months now, so I think the constant reach around and pulling the inner handle from the outside is what is making them start to go.

Wouldn't a generic reference be any Jeep model though? If you are comparing a Pathfinder to a Wrangler, those are way different. And most people that I wheel with have Cherokee XJ's so I was confused. I didn't know there was supposed to be a specific model when it is generically referenced. Have a good one man.

Even if the generic reference caused confusion, the fact that I referenced a design intent to run without doors, should have cleared up the meaning. ;)

My handles have been busted for about 6 months now, so I think the constant reach around and pulling the inner handle from the outside is what is making them start to go.

That sucks, did they break from just being worn out or maybe from some impact damage at some point? ...or perhaps someone in the past who heavy handed them, I can see that as a possible cause.

The handles, inside and out, on my 88 are still good and it has over 435k worth of door openings one it! Even the rear hatch handle is going strong and its has suffered the weight of the door numerous times when the struts have gone bad... although that one is metal.

• Like 1

Even if the generic reference caused confusion, the fact that I referenced a design intent to run without doors, should have cleared up the meaning. ;)

That sucks, did they break from just being worn out or maybe from some impact damage at some point? ...or perhaps someone in the past who heavy handed them, I can see that as a possible cause.

The handles, inside and out, on my 88 are still good and it has over 435k worth of door openings one it! Even the rear hatch handle is going strong and its has suffered the weight of the door numerous times when the struts have gone bad... although that one is metal.

The internals aren't in the best shape, combined with the old plastic they don't last too long. I'm missing some sort of lock nut, so it needs to be adjusted every couple months for easy opening. That's the driver side at least, the passenger side just broke with no warning. My friend broke it, and she doesn't tend to strong arm things so i think the plastic just saw its time.