Front strut suggestions R50 Pathfinder w Krypton SFD

vtgpicker

Hey guys I recently bought a 1996 pathfinder with a Krypton SFD and need to replace the front struts. I'm in Ontario Canada, local shop can do 'like OEM' for $850. I was hoping to find an upgrade, something more of for ad possible than OEM.. Any suggestions?

Also, as far as I know standard OEM struts still fit with an SFD.. Correct?

Any help is golden as I'm a total newb. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey guys I recently bought a 1996 pathfinder with a Krypton SFD and need to replace the front struts. I'm in Ontario Canada, local shop can do 'like OEM' for $850. I was hoping to find an upgrade, something more of for ad possible than OEM.. Any suggestions?

Also, as far as I know standard OEM struts still fit with an SFD.. Correct?

Any help is golden as I'm a total newb. Thanks

OEM struts will fit fine with an SFD. In fact, all available strut have the same dimensions as OEM. KYB is a highly recommended (and much more affordable) alternative. However, you should not use the KYB top mount and bearing; use OEM for that.

Welcome to the forum!

EDIT: what I meant here; . I was hoping to find an upgrade, something more of for ad possible than OEM.. Any suggestions?

Was this: . I was hoping to find an upgrade, something more OFF ROAD possible than OEM.. Any suggestions?

Is KYB tougher than OEM struts?

Thanks again.

Also the original thread posted twice, if mods can delete the other, that'd be great.

EDIT: what I meant here; . I was hoping to find an upgrade, something more of for ad possible than OEM.. Any suggestions?

Was this: . I was hoping to find an upgrade, something more OFF ROAD possible than OEM.. Any suggestions?

Is KYB tougher than OEM struts?

Thanks again.

Also the original thread posted twice, if mods can delete the other, that'd be great.

Yeah, double posting is an issue with Tapatalk. Sometimes it doesn't seem like it posted so you click it again, but then you've posted twice! Just a quirk to get used to. (Or use the forum in-browser which is my preferred method, even on mobile.)

As far as struts, the only ones that are technically an upgrade are the Old Man Emu (OME; not to be confused with OEM!). The KYB perform extremely well, from my experience I would say better than stock, but you won't find KYB struts that are listed as an 'upgraded' part. They're just different; and in a good way! If you can afford OME, those should be better, but KYB is extremely good.

Any recommendations on coils? Mine are looking pretty toasted.

I'm either gonna go KYB with the strut or OME, depends on much I decide to spend..

I'm also replacing my rears, there's Rancho RS5000s on there now. Is there any reason to go to 9000s (or not to?)

Thanks to anyone who can chime in on this

https://www.amazon.com/KYB-335016-Excel-G-Gas-Strut/dp/B000CODES4/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1522431739&vehicle=1996-67-893------------1-0&sr=1-7&ymm=1996%3Anissan%3Apathfinder&keywords=kyb+strut

https://www.amazon.com/KYB-335015-Excel-G-Gas-Strut/dp/B000C44C44/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1522431739&vehicle=1996-67-893------------1-0&sr=1-10&ymm=1996%3Anissan%3Apathfinder&keywords=kyb+strut

These are the struts that I run in the front paired with OME HD coils, and they have held up great. They're way less sloppy than oem, despite the fact that I do a ton of wheeling. They have a good ride and a good price, and they hold up. I can't speak for Rancho as I haven't ever run their products, but I have OME shocks in the rear and they are fantastic.

Either one will serve you well, but I would go with KYB just because they're way cheaper.

If you get the KYB's, you will also want to make sure you get these, but you will have to drill out the center of the bump stop a little bit to get them to slide over the strut.

https://www.amazon.com/KYB-SB129-Strut-Boot/dp/B001FY578K/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1522432068&vehicle=1996-67-893------------1-0&sr=1-1&ymm=1996%3Anissan%3Apathfinder&keywords=kyb+strut+boot&dpID=31KV9psGJdL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

You'll also want to replace your strut bearings and top hats at the same time. I would recommend either reusing your original ones or getting an oem part (or something else that you trust to be solid). If you get either KYB or Gabriel ones they WILL fall apart and you WILL have to pull your strut apart again to replace them with something better. I say this from personal experience and from the experience of many others, just so you don't have to go thorough the same thing.

You don't have to, but if you also get a new plate with the studs on it then you'll have all new parts and won't have to disassemble your old struts to reuse and parts. This will save you a lot of time and frustration, as taking struts apart and dealing with spring compressors is a royal pain in the butt lol

https://www.amazon.com/KYB-335016-Excel-G-Gas-Strut/dp/B000CODES4/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1522431739&vehicle=1996-67-893------------1-0&sr=1-7&ymm=1996%3Anissan%3Apathfinder&keywords=kyb+strut

https://www.amazon.com/KYB-335015-Excel-G-Gas-Strut/dp/B000C44C44/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1522431739&vehicle=1996-67-893------------1-0&sr=1-10&ymm=1996%3Anissan%3Apathfinder&keywords=kyb+strut

These are the struts that I run in the front paired with OME HD coils, and they have held up great. They're way less sloppy than oem, despite the fact that I do a ton of wheeling. They have a good ride and a good price, and they hold up. I can't speak for Rancho as I haven't ever run their products, but I have OME shocks in the rear and they are fantastic.

Either one will serve you well, but I would go with KYB just because they're way cheaper.

If you get the KYB's, you will also want to make sure you get these, but you will have to drill out the center of the bump stop a little bit to get them to slide over the strut.

https://www.amazon.com/KYB-SB129-Strut-Boot/dp/B001FY578K/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1522432068&vehicle=1996-67-893------------1-0&sr=1-1&ymm=1996%3Anissan%3Apathfinder&keywords=kyb+strut+boot&dpID=31KV9psGJdL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

You'll also want to replace your strut bearings and top hats at the same time. I would recommend either reusing your original ones or getting an oem part (or something else that you trust to be solid). If you get either KYB or Gabriel ones they WILL fall apart and you WILL have to pull your strut apart again to replace them with something better. I say this from personal experience and from the experience of many others, just so you don't have to go thorough the same thing.

You don't have to, but if you also get a new plate with the studs on it then you'll have all new parts and won't have to disassemble your old struts to reuse and parts. This will save you a lot of time and frustration, as taking struts apart and dealing with spring compressors is a royal pain in the butt lol

I noticed a note on the OME 'HD' coils that without extra weight up front the ride may be harsh and there will be extra lift.. Lift I don't so much mind, but how's the 'Harsh Ride' aspect? Noticeable?

(thanks for taking time to respond)

I noticed a note on the OME 'HD' coils that without extra weight up front the ride may be harsh and there will be extra lift.. Lift I don't so much mind, but how's the 'Harsh Ride' aspect? Noticeable?

To be blunt, that is absolutely false. Keep in mind I have absolutely no extra weight in the front at all. It's noticeably firmer than stock, and it's almost a perfect match with my LR springs (175 sr) in the rear.

The best I can do to explain it is that it feels way more solid, but is not harsh (like leaf springs) in any way. I would say that even the HD OME springs are less stiff than the AC coils. I can not express enough how good the ride is with the OME springs up front and the LR springs in the back. People who know nothing about cars who've ridden with me have even commented on how sturdy and well the car rides and feels.

Don't let their comment on that scare you away at all! I would 100% recommend them.

• Like 1