i think i got swindled into this pathy but i like the vehicle

so I paid 1100 for a Nissan pathfinder xe 4x4 1995 with 197000 on the odometer. When I was looking at the vehicle I thought I could recognize issues like ive done before I saw what appeared to be usual oil residue and the speedometer wasn't exactly working it would work and then not do anything every now and than she said something about it being hard to go into reverse sometimes I thought nothing of it really cause I drove it and it felt fine reversing it felt normal really I drove it 91 miles home and the hole way it shifted fine so I was excited when I got home the next day I realized the valve covers were leaking and possibly the oil pan gasket so I changed the valve cover gaskets and the leak was reduced to almost nothing I than changed the timing belt the engine purrs like a kitten now but ive recently read some bad things about the transmissions on them and the hole reverse thing she said has got me real worried that the inevitable might happen sooner than later tho every time ive reversed in it its given me no issues other than from first to second kinda shifting a little hard that's it really. tho i saw a very small drop of transmission fluid right where it looks like the transmission meets something i wiped it away and have been checking it haven't seen anything since.the tranny fluid looks normal on cold haven't really had the chance lately to check it hot. I think i might've got screwed guys what do you think? comfort me, insult me whatever

honestly its a good looking vehicle i really like the style of it and the things you can do to it.

:welcome:

I flushed/filled mine with generic parts store dex/merc a while back and it hasn't complained yet, so I don't think they're that picky. Check your fluid condition and level, especially if it might be leaking. Reverse is generally the first thing to go in these, but I've also heard of them acting funny if the trans fluid level is far enough from where it should be.

Sounds like you didn't get hurt too bad on it even if the trans does quit. If you end up looking for a replacement, look into the later transmissions from the later trucks with the VG33 (Pathy, Frontier, or Xterra). They're supposed to bolt up and be built a little better.

• Like 1

:welcome:

I flushed/filled mine with generic parts store dex/merc a while back and it hasn't complained yet, so I don't think they're that picky. Check your fluid condition and level, especially if it might be leaking. Reverse is generally the first thing to go in these, but I've also heard of them acting funny if the trans fluid level is far enough from where it should be.

Sounds like you didn't get hurt too bad on it even if the trans does quit. If you end up looking for a replacement, look into the later transmissions from the later trucks with the VG33 (Pathy, Frontier, or Xterra). They're supposed to bolt up and be built a little better.

how many miles were on it when you bought it and i will post some pics here in a minute did you add an external cooler to it. I heard that really helps with these transmissions. and I have the 4x4 I heard transmissions swaps are difficult but I don't shy away from challenges.

Reminds me of my '95! Hopefully the frame's in better shape than mine was.

My '93 had 231k when I got it. I flushed the trans with fresh fluid, added a cooler, and added an external filter while I was at it to hopefully separate out whatever crud remained. I've put 10k on it since with no complaints from the trans.