87 3.0 auto Pathfinder falls on face in 2nd gear, seems to be flooding out

Pathy87

Hey there,

I have a 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, Auto, 4x4 with 212k miles. She starts up and idles fine, in neutral or park when reving the engine, it sounds smooth and good. When you put it in gear, and go, first gear is good. when it hits second, it acts like there is no power, or it flooding out, and kind of starts missing. This happens when its in Drive. If I select the gears on my own, and I wind out 1st gear to higher RPM's then shift it to 2nd, its happy. It runs great down the highway, and it likes higher RPM's. If I have it in Drive, and let the auto tranny do its thing, it doesn't like it, maybe because its shifting at lower RPM's and the dumping of the fuel is just killing it. If I manually shift into 2nd, trying to go up a hill, it just has no power, doesn't' want to really go anywhere, even when winding out 1st gear.It really struggles going up hills.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I would check the timing just to be sure. Should be 12 or 15 degrees.

Also try unplugging the o2 sensor and see if it runs better. As well as test the cylinder head temp sensor. Its a bit of a bitch to reach but doable.