Need help, intermittent missing.

SBRChris

So a couple issues are going on with my Pathy that im not sure are connected but may be in some way.

First, about 6-9~ months ago my speedometer quit after having the clutch replaced. I thought it was just the VSS in the tailhousing so I bought a new one and installed a few weeks ago, however that did not fix my speedo issue.

Second, I have developed an intermittent miss that will sometimes begin at startup then sometime stop mid-drive. Other times it just keeps missing/studdering. The time in which is stops has varied from seconds to not stopping after 80~ miles. Other times it doesn't miss at all.

Today, I went to have the codes read but the person said they weren't receiving any info from the OBD port. It was powering their device but not giving info. The reason I think these could possibly be connected is that through research I've determined that the VSS sends a signal to the dash/headunit, which then converts the signal and sends it to the pcm. I'm not sure if this is the same "computer" that provides the data to the OBD port. Could the pcm be causing an issue with the speedo and OBD?

I went ahead and replaced the plugs today as well. The wires seem okay but I will ohm them out tomorrow. I don't think it would be the wires. I have heard of some people having to replace the distributor but would like to make sure before spending the $300~ on that. I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try to get the codes pulled again by someone else with a different scanner perhaps. Do you have a check engine light on?? If so getting the codes could be key to figuring this out. Is there any particular driving that makes it worse like up a hill, heavy accel, bumpy roads, time of day, temp, weather, etc. How many miles are on the rig? The more info the better chance we might have of helping you out.

I'll try that at a different location today. The light is on, it's been on since the speedo quit working. I have been able to pull codes since then though. The no code issue is recent. The missing has only happened for roughly a week or so and it's sporadic. This morning, it didn't happen at all. The speedo/odo quick working at 165k miles. I'd say it probably has 170-172k on it now. I've owned it for 2 years since roughly 145k miles. I cleaned the maf, and connector the same day I did the plug change as well. I'm going to pick up a new fuel filter today when I go to have the codes checked again.

Checked the codes again, no code for a miss. There's a knock sensor code (which has been there awhile) and the VSS code. I guess I will order a cap and rotor to try those next. I haven't had the chance to ohm the wires yet.

Take the cap off and inspect for brown/red/goldish dust or flakes. Any of that and your distributor is going bad. No just the cap and rotor but the whole thing needs to be changed.

Take the cap off and inspect for brown/red/goldish dust or flakes. Any of that and your distributor is going bad. No just the cap and rotor but the whole thing needs to be changed.

I pulled the cap last weekend and didn't notice an abundance of any dust/flakes present. It looked surprisingly clean.

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled the cap last weekend and didn't notice an abundance of any dust/flakes present. It looked surprisingly clean.

New cap and rotor didn't correct the issue.

• 1 month later...

New cap and rotor didn't correct the issue.

New distributor didn't fix the issue either.