From Hawaii... '93 XE 4x4

SamNavy

Hey all, first of many posts!

Just bought this 2-owner '93 XE 4x4 w/176k miles. Original owner kept great records and did all normal maintenance. Second owner is a buddy of mine who only had it 2 years and put minimal miles on it. It's in fantastic shape for being a 22yr island truck. Orginial owner cut and rewelded on a new roof several years ago, and then my buddy painted on the bedliner for good measure.

The 4x4 works great, shifts real smooth into 4H and 4L.

Stereo is toast.

Interior has some bits here and there missing.

AC works.

Manual tranny, shifts great and engine pulls strong and smooth.

Tires are BFG's w/ about 4k on them.

First order of business is to address the paint... not that I care how it looks, but just to keep it from slipping further away.

Gonna gut the interior and do any rust prevention required, probably replace the carpet.

Gonna get all new sounds (has the roof-mounted setup in the rear).

It's an easy project, just what I needed to keep myself from buying something way worse off and regretting it.

QUESTIONS:

How do I tell what dif is in it?

I don't want to replace the speakers with seperates... just 2-ways. What size are the fronts and rears?

Who sells a leveling kit? I can't seem to find one (which is weird).

• Like 1

Open the hood, passenger side inner fender near the back there will be a plate. It will say either HG46 or HG43. More than likely you have the 4.36 ratio.

Speakers are just 5x7's. I installed 2 ways in mine and kept the stock tweeters which were pretty good for the time.

There isn't really a leveling kit, but if you want to raise the front a bit, you can just adjust the torsion bars (they are the front springs), and the rear you can get some spacers from Fleurys.

Check for rust in the floor seams, especially the drivers side foot well.

Copy all of the above. I've got 2 pairs of Alpine 5x7's on the way to start.

Looks like I've got the HG43 dif... is that limited slip?

Gonna pull all the whole interior including seats, carpets, panels, etc... gonna clean and hit everything with some rust converter as required.

The carpet itself is gonna get hung up and fire-hosed.

Question on the rusty window trim bits... are those tac welded to the door-frame itself or is there a less permanent method of attachment?

p5xj9P7.jpg

WDV8jtM.jpg

h4wEFas.jpg

Tym5IhC.jpg

• 4 weeks later...