Lots of white smoke from exhaust in the morning

calvinM

Hi board members My 91 Pathfinder WD21 has a lot of white smoke in the mornings after about a half a mile the smoke is gone after warm up, and very little if any for the rest of the day until the following morning. PCV valve ok. Not losing Coolant , not much oil usage .I have 125,000 Mi on her. I suspect a valve problem. How much can a valve job run me. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Calvin M.

Now is that whispy, thin white smoke or crap-tons of white smoke that you _can't_ see through?? If it's the first kind it may just be accumulated water condensation in the exhaust and resonator, nothing to see here. IF it's the latter: the head gasket may be done and is leaking coolant into the exhaust headers. The only two realistic probabilities are water from outside getting in and water from inside getting out. Are you sure that you aren't loosing coolant? Visual check or measured volume?

• Like 2

Ive looked into the top of the radiator and the coolant is still topped up and green color from the antifreeze. Also the oil is still clear and not overfilled. Same thing this morning lots of white smoke the first half mile or so, then its gone after warm up. If I park for a while ,say go shopping and drive again no smoke.Overnight i guess either water or oil leaks past the rings & into the cylinder or down a worn valve guide maybe.

Do a block test. If it comes back fine, keep on driving. It sounds like just normal vapor from a cold engine. Mine does it all the time. In the winter it is so thick you can't see behind the truck lol.

• Like 1