Custom Spare Tire & Jerry Can Carrier Drawings

SYNCHROMASH

Hey guys,

A couple years ago I stumbled across the drawings for a split design swing-out spare tire carrier that someone had fab'd and published the drawings for. Does anyone know where the images are?

I recall a photo of the owner standing on the opened carrier to prove its strength, and it being a gold R50 parked inside a well-kept garage.

I did some searching here but it's so hard to narrow down the search criteria without getting too specific and getting 0 results.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated.

$10USD etransfer in it for ya if you send the images or post a working link.

Cheers,

Mike

YOU'RE THE MAN. Seriously, I would like to reward the good behaviour. Please send me your email address.

Yes, he did have a hitch-mount carrier at one point, then eventually did the tire carrier mod.

This particular carrier Ive always been a fan of. Its the reason I had he link handy. Just used it the other week, actually, to reference some dimensions on his skid plate (though, we seem to have different dimensions). His bumper wouldnt suit me due to the departure angle losses, but its an excellent solution nonetheless. Move everything up to replace the OE bumper and itd be killer.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 2/19/2018 at 3:28 PM, hawairish said:

resurrecting an old thread...  How does this attach?  Does it attach to a tow hitch?  I'm a little confused about it, but I like the concept I think.

3 hours ago, AlabamaDan said:

resurrecting an old thread...  How does this attach?  Does it attach to a tow hitch?  I'm a little confused about it, but I like the concept I think.

The arms are welded directly to the side plates of his hitch. 

2 hours ago, AlabamaDan said:

So.... I have a hitch now.  Would this just weld onto the existing hitch I have?  It seems like that is a lot of weight on a single arm.

The owner seemingly built it with his specific hitch in mind, but it'd undoubtedly be adaptable to any Class 3+ hitch.  The weakest link on that swing arm might be the pivot shaft, which appears to be a 50mm rod turned down to 35mm or the teflon bushings he's using...and I wouldn't consider either of those weak for this application.  I doubt it'd flinch at 350 lbs.  In all honesty, this is probably one of the finest designs you'll find for something like this.  The level of detail by the owner is amazing; there's almost nothing I would second guess on it.

• Like 1