Annoying safety crap...and a question

k9sar

We recently had a few inches of snow in the area and I went out to play in my '05. I get annoyed by the gritty rumble in the brake pedal when I slam on the brakes and slide but I don't think there is any way to turn off the ABS without physically disabling it. The other system I'm not a fan of is the one that detects if your tires are slipping on acceleration and bogs down the engine to try to get traction. Sometimes powering through it is the best option for slippage. At least that has a way to turn it off with the button below climate control. One thing I have noticed though and I don't know if it's normal or not is there is a slightly higher pitched crunchy noise that seems to come from the front of the vehicle when I am slipping on acceleration and don't get off the gas. Seems to be more when turning and it's not immediate, almost like it's thinking "hey dummy, I tried to help by killing the engine but now I'm going to do something else because I think I'm smarter than you". What the hell is this? Anyone else have this "feature"? My first thought was that it sounded like the stupid truck was trying to engage 4WD on its own and grinding into it but there is no "AUTO" setting on the 4WD selector. Haven't had the time to read through the owners manual or FSM to see if this is expected or not. Ideas?

I don't have an R51, but I can agree with 'the ABS is just an annoyance' sentiment. I'm glad the R50 doesn't have that second one, lol.

I'd so much rather not have ABS. The jerking rumble crap scares me every time, and I automatically lift up on the pedal, which is the opposite of what you are supposed to do with ABS. The stupid thing is it does it with the SLIGHTEST of traction loss, and in most cases I travel further than I would have if it just wasn't there. I think I'm seriously going to look into bypassing it.

My ABS seems to do the opposite, it seems to only come on in some extreme conditions. I've been cut off on the highway before and had to slam on my brakes, and it just slid until I let off the brakes. It's a useless system. Oh well, insurance would screw ya over if it was disabled and you got in an accident.

And good luck figuring that out, it would annoy me so much. My mom's Escape can't get out of our road (connects to a main road so the plows never do our road, and a foot plus of snow builds up by the stop sign) unless TC is off.

I don't have an R51, but I can agree with 'the ABS is just an annoyance' sentiment. I'm glad the R50 doesn't have that second one, lol.

I'd so much rather not have ABS. The jerking rumble crap scares me every time, and I automatically lift up on the pedal, which is the opposite of what you are supposed to do with ABS. The stupid thing is it does it with the SLIGHTEST of traction loss, and in most cases I travel further than I would have if it just wasn't there. I think I'm seriously going to look into bypassing it.

My r50 has traction control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Astrorami

• 3 weeks later...

My ABS seems to do the opposite, it seems to only come on in some extreme conditions. I've been cut off on the highway before and had to slam on my brakes, and it just slid until I let off the brakes. It's a useless system. Oh well, insurance would screw ya over if it was disabled and you got in an accident.

mjotrainbrain. I wonder if your ABS is working properly. Mine has come on in emergency stops several times, you really have to stand on it. Technically, like most things computer controlled, it really should work better than you are able to do as it has literally superhuman abilities and can keep the tire just on the edge of traction loss, maximizing braking. Another advantage is that is allows you to steer while under emergency braking. More than once this has allowed me to avoid or minimize an accident. That said, I have over half a million miles under my belt just going by the cars I've personally owned so I've had an opportunity to experience it. I have also driven non-ABS equipped cars and experienced what they did - it wasn't better. Also, I've driven many vehicles equipped with ABS in lots of snow. I've never noticed it to be problematic.

Edited by RainGoat

mjotrainbrain. I wonder if your ABS is working properly. Mine has come on in emergency stops several times, you really have to stand on it. Technically, like most things computer controlled, it really should work better than you are able to do as it has literally superhuman abilities and can keep the tire just on the edge of traction loss, maximizing braking. Another advantage is that is allows you to steer while under emergency braking. More than once this has allowed me to avoid or minimize an accident. That said, I have over half a million miles under my belt just going by the cars I've personally owned so I've had an opportunity to experience it. I have also driven non-ABS equipped cars and experienced what they did - it wasn't better. Also, I've driven many vehicles equipped with ABS in lots of snow. I've never noticed it to be problematic.

I wondered if it worked properly, as I've noticed it working, and I've noticed it seeming to not work. I left it at the dealer for 3 days and all they had to say was that it should work fine...I've learned to drive a lot more defensively and haven't had any close-calls in a long time. I may get it inspected by a third party at some point, but I do trust the dealer's evaluation. Maybe in my situations where it felt like it wasn't working I just wasn't on the brakes quite hard enough (although it was hard enough to lock up the tires...).

If all four tires lock up, I don't know if the abs will do anything. It relies on the difference in speed of the wheel speed sensors. If they are all locked up, then they all show 0 speed, so no difference.

• Like 1

If all four tires lock up, I don't know if the abs will do anything. It relies on the difference in speed of the wheel speed sensors. If they are all locked up, then they all show 0 speed, so no difference.

That's good to know. I think that's what happens, it's what it feels like.