Fuel Pump in '01 Pathfinder

ryjaytay38

Hey Guys,

Can someone tell me the easiest way to get the fuel pump out of the bottom of the tank? I've been looking/feeling for a clip or some way that it's held down and I can't find anything. The last thing I want to do is pull too hard and break something. I figured there has to be something easy holding it into the little reservoir that it's sitting in. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!

I don't see anything like that in the '03 manual, and I know the pump in my '95 wasn't held down by anything at the bottom. Pumps do tend to be tricky to get out, though, because you've got the float in there too. Maybe that rod's fouling against the hole in the tank as you pull?

Hey Slartibartfast,

Yeah, the pump itself is in a plastic housing which is clipped to the bottom of the tank. There are a few tabs at the back of the housing. Apparently you need to pull up on the center tab for it to release from the bottom then the whole thing comes out. I couldn't figure out if I needed to push down or pull up but after reading a little more and seeing an actual illustration from nissan, you have to pull up. One other guy said he pulled the whole housing unit apart(it's two pieces clipped together) and left the bottom clipped in, took the pump out without the housing. Since it's about 1030pm here, I think I'll go try my luck one more time. I'll let you know if I get it the right way or if the damn thing is coming out in broken pieces because this should not be this difficult.

I finished the pump last night. I got my arm down in the tank and pulled upward on the middle tab of the pump bracket housing with a little more force than I had before and it released from the bottom of the tank. I found a few posts on a google search and the pics were exactly what I was dealing with. I've loaded them onto photo bucket but apparently I'm not as computer savvy as I thought because I can't get them on here. Once I got the housing released, it was clear sailing. It was a little tricky getting the housing bracket to line up with the bottom of the tank after replacing the pump but only took a few minutes of feeling around.

I finished the pump last night. I got my arm down in the tank and pulled upward on the middle tab of the pump bracket housing with a little more force than I had before and it released from the bottom of the tank. I found a few posts on a google search and the pics were exactly what I was dealing with. I've loaded them onto photo bucket but apparently I'm not as computer savvy as I thought because I can't get them on here. Once I got the housing released, it was clear sailing. It was a little tricky getting the housing bracket to line up with the bottom of the tank after replacing the pump but only took a few minutes of feeling around.

Glad you figured it out! Your issue with the pictures is PhotoBucket itself, you can't share pics to forums unless you pay an outrageous fee. I suggest postimage.org instead. Upload the picture you want, then use the direct link pasted into the "Image" tool in the forum post editor.

• Like 1