Loud whining rises with engine RPM

uncle.penny

Hi all!

2 problem posts in 1 week, I'm on a roll!

So I have a quite loud whining that rises with the engine speed as the title states, it's basically as loud as the engine itself. If I didn't know any better I'd think someone stuck on a supercharger running 15psi haha. I've noticed no driveability issues with it, but it's annoying and if it's something that could potentially become serious I'd rather take care of it now. The pitch doesn't change when I dry-steer so I don't think it's the PS pump, so in my head I've narrowed it down to either the water pump or alternator (while crossing my fingers that it's not the pump).

Anyone dealt with a whiny Path before? Is there a good trick for diagnosing it aside from using a stethoscope/long screwdriver?

It could also be a bad fan clutch. Mine spins all the time and makes a ton of noise. Cruising at a steady speed it will fade in and out in volume but always makes some noise. I thought I was the timing belt at first but it's too inconsistent.

I'm 99% sure it's not the fan. I used to have an '88 300ZX with the VG30E in it with a seized fan clutch so I know exactly what that sounds like haha. Made a 2 seater sports car sound like a semi truck any time you'd take off from a stop.

Haven't had the chance to check accessories yet, probably going to leave it until Sunday to try and narrow it down. I have a sneaking suspicion it's the water pump even though I'm hoping it isn't.

Which pulley is it that's dead centre between the cylinder banks at the top? Without even taking the belts off I just felt around and that pulley had quite a lot of play in it.

Air conditioner idler pulley. Sounds like you found your problem!

• 3 weeks later...

I actually had a similar problem with one of my own accessories. I bought a belt online from Amazon and it said it would fit the A/C pulley, but after i put it on it sounded like I had installed a supercharger. Turns out that the belt was so tight the tensioner pulley in the middle was so tight i couldn't adjust it.