95 V6 cranks strong, doesn't fire whatsoever.

uncle.penny

Hi all!

Bit of an issue with my Path. Was driving it along one day, then just sputtered and died in the space of about 15 seconds. Tried starting it, would crank very strong but would not fire at all. I'm in

the process of replacing the spark plugs (don't think that's actually the issue, but I already had plugs on hand so figured I'd rule it out). I'm thinking it must be something fuel related as it seems like the cylinders aren't getting fuel at all since it's not even sputtering when I crank it.

Anyone else run into anything similar? I did a hack job welding my exhaust back together after doing the clutch on it so it has a pretty sizable leak just before the O2 sensor (was planning on bringing it to an exhaust shop to have it properly welded so it seals as well as replace the O2 sensor). That shouldn't cause it to not fire though, right? If anything it would just run rough and have crap fuel economy I would assume.

Probably going to check the fuel pump tonight and see if that's it but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear it!

Check to make sure the pump is running. Check the fuses and the sending unit (known to corrode at the wires going into it at the top). There is an access hole under the cargo area carpet.

Did you check to see if there is spark? When was the timing belt last changed?

Check to make sure the pump is running. Check the fuses and the sending unit (known to corrode at the wires going into it at the top). There is an access hole under the cargo area carpet.

Did you check to see if there is spark? When was the timing belt last changed?

Yeah I'm going to check the fuel system and fuses tonight, not sure on the belt. I bought it at 230k, at 260k now. I do have a timing belt kit and water pump waiting to go in, just haven't had the time.

Might want to pull the cap and see if the rotor turns when you crank it. If it doesn't the belt likely broke.

Great suggestion, I'll definitely check that. The VGs have interference heads right? I would have thought it would make much more noise if the belt went but I'll definitely check.

Hopefully it is not the problem but it would be the first thing Id check after making sure the fuel pump is running.

Turned out to be the pump as I thought it might be. The wires at the top were so badly corroded that one broke off. The one that broke off was actually held down with epoxy so it looks like a previous owner had "fixed" it before. I ended up just cleaning the contacts, cutting off the corroded female connector on the wire side and soldering it back on. So I basically "fixed" it the same way the PO "fixed" it. Drove it around and took it offroad for some bumps to make sure it would hold and she's still ticking. Put a glob of silicone over it to help seal it a bit and give it some vibration dampening.

Not a pretty or proper fix, but it worked and was free so there we go. Probably going to just replace the pump next time this happens but this is fine for the mean time.

(Not sure how to upload pics, tried two different image hosts and got the "not allowed" message) :scratchhead:

Tried ImgBB and imgur then gave up haha.

IMGUR works just fine...and it's free...

dXN87w7.jpg

Just make sure that you use the BBCode (for messages and forums) link.

If you go to Images, click the image you uploaded and then on the right it should give you multiple links. Select to Copy the code for the BBCode Link and paste it into the Forum entry.

Works like a champ!

IMGUR works just fine...and it's free...

dXN87w7.jpg

Just make sure that you use the BBCode (for messages and forums) link.

If you go to Images, click the image you uploaded and then on the right it should give you multiple links. Select to Copy the code for the BBCode Link and paste it into the Forum entry.

Works like a champ!

Ahhhh I thought I was missing something. I was just using the regular image url, thanks!